Seasiders sign off the regular season in style


Felixstowe & Walton United completed their regular league season with a comfortable 3-0 home victory over Coggeshall Town. The Seasiders will go into Tuesday’s promotion playoff semi-final at Canvey Island in good shape and top of the form table with their sixth successive win coming through first half goals from Charlie Warren and Sam Nunn, with Harry Knock confirming the three points in the second half with the third headed goal of the game.

Seasiders Manager Stuart Boardley was able to utilise his squad to provide crucial minutes for returning players, whilst allowing rest for certain others in preparation of the Canvey Island trip. Zak Brown was rested completely with Charlie Warren, Rory Porter and Kieran Twinn all in the starting eleven, alongside the returning Stuart Ainsley and Josh Hitter. A strong bench contained Henry Barley, Joe Whight, Billy Holland, Ollie Canfer and Darius Petrea.

There was a great crowd of 641 inside the Goldstar Ground for Felixstowe’s last home match of the season and they were treated to a good, competitive game, albeit without the drama and stress of recent matches now the playoff position had been confirmed with Monday’s stunning win at Maldon. Felixstowe were passing the ball around well with Andre Hasanally and Charlie Warren looking sharp on either wing. The first decent chance fell to the away side on 7 minutes, Stuart Ainsley heading the ball off the goal line after a good effort from Hayes. Ainsley broke down the left on 12 minutes and found Charlie Warren in the centre, he laid it off to Andre Hasanally who sent in a terrific ball that eluded the goalkeeper, and everyone else, but hit the far post before rebounding out to safety. Former Seasider Isaac Skubich volleyed just over from 20 yards on 20 minutes as both sides continued to press forward. Felixstowe’s attacking play deservedly led to the opening goal on 23 minutes, Hasanally again causing havoc on the left and delivering a beautiful ball towards the far side of the six yard box that a steaming in Charlie Warren lapped up to head home. Rory Porter made the goalkeeper sweat on 26 minutes when he made space in the centre and took a shot that deflected up and over the keepers head but he managed to recover well and save. The Seasiders crossing was troubling the away defence time and time again and on 30 minutes another good ball in led to the second goal, a defender could only send his headed clearance towards his own net, that was cleared off the line but only out to Sam Nunn who steered his firm header intentionally into the unguarded far left side of the net.

The second half started well for Felixstowe with Billy Holland heading onto the roof of the net.  Stuart Ainsley again cleared off the line from Gipson on 53 minutes and Coggeshall substitute Alex Teniola curled his shot wide when in a great position in the box. Felixstowe were happy to settle for a comfortable second half and played the ball around well, conserved energy and limited the away side to very few attacks in the final half an hour. Harry Knock delighted the home crowd by extending the lead further on 75 minutes, heading in from close range after a clearance from a dangerous free kick into the box landed favourably to him. Billy Holland floated a 30 yard effort just over the bar on 79 minutes and from there the game turned into a preseason friendly type of game, with the home side in control for the remainder of the half. Felixstowe’s players, management and coaching staff took a well-deserved lap of honour at the end of the game to a large and appreciative crowd who had witnessed a remarkable season for the Seasiders, with an injury plagued side producing an incredible FA Trophy run for the second successive season, and storming into the playoffs with a run of 19 wins from 26 league games since early December.


Report by Stuart Daynes

Photos by Stefan Peck 

Team Line-Ups Here

Photo Gallery Here