Seasiders suffer home defeat to league leaders

Felixstowe & Walton United fell to a second successive home defeat as visitors Aveley scored two second half goals to grab the points that saw the Millers rise to the top of the Isthmian North.

Noel Aitkens returned to the starting eleven after illness but injuries and illness led to only one fit player on the bench for the Seasiders.

Felixstowe made a blistering start with two great chances in the first 90 seconds, first Callum Bennett creating space on the right and sending in a cross/shot that the keeper did well to turn around the post, from the corner Sam Nunn connected in the six yard box and his goal bound effort was scrambled off the line. The game then settled into a fairly even affair with both sides taking it in turns to attack, without either side coming close. Aveley saw their first chance come on 17 minutes, Benton firing a swerving long range effort just over the bar. Benton crossed to the near post a minute later but Billy Holland was first to it and scooped the ball over and out for a throw in far side. Alex Akrofi turned and shot through a group of players on 25 minutes, his effort catching everyone off guard except Callum Robinson who reacted well to steer it wide at the last second. The game continued at a good pace for the remainder of the half but it wasn’t until the 45th minute that a decent chance came, a pass back from the half way line caught the Aveley goalkeeper off his line and he scrambled back to divert the ball just wide.

The visitors got the crucial first goal on 48 minutes, a corner from the left was swing in to the near post and Ryan Scott had the relatively simple task of nodding the ball into the net. From there Aveley were content to soak up any Felixstowe pressure, rely on their firm defence to repel any real danger and hit the Seasiders on the break with their lightning quick attack force. Akrofi saw his effort deflected over the bar on 50 minutes. Felixstowe’s best chance of the second half fell to substitute Henry Barley, his first touch after being introduced to the game was a 22 yard curler that just flew wide of the far post. Robinson saved well at his near post from Sykes on 70 minutes and two minutes later Barley again saw his long range drive go agonisingly wide of the upright. Aveley made the game safe on 84 minutes, Alex Akrofi ran clear of two defenders and confidently placed the ball past Robinson to confirm the win and top spot.


Felixstowe Manager Stuart Boardley spoke after the game. “That was a tight game with small margins, Aveley are a really good side, I said before the game and I’ll say it again now, I think they’ll win the league. Physically they are very good; they make good decisions and put balls into good areas. I don’t think they outplayed us today, but they were very physically strong and fit, well organised and solid and came here and done a good job on us today. Whilst we were at one nil I always felt that we had a chance, we have players that can make a difference in that final third, but I don’t think we were as positive as we could have been, equally we didn’t have a lot on the bench to change anything. What people don’t see is that we have four injured players on the bench today so effectively we had one sub and that made it very difficult to change anything to improve fortunes in that final third, or even just to bring fresh legs on, that’s disappointing but I suppose it shows how far we’ve come, Aveley are the best team in our league and we are disappointed we lost the football game against them. We will put this one to bed and focus on the run in”.



Report by Stuart Daynes

Team Line-Ups Here

Photo Gallery Here