F&W U11 Whites back in action away to East Bergholt

A welcome return to football following Lockdown 2.0 saw the Whites travel to East Bergholt looking to continue where they left off before the season was put on hold.

The boys initially struggled to get going against what was an impressive Bergholt side, with the hosts enjoying the majority of the ball during the opening exchanges. The Seasiders were struggling to get the ball out of their half, with the greens controlling the game and putting us under consistent pressure. Soon enough the hosts took the lead. A lack of concentration at the back saw Bergholt break away, with their striker finishing well to give them a deserved lead.

Going a goal down seemed to shake the boys in to life, and they immediately began to get a foothold in the game, moving the ball better and getting much further up the pitch. A flurry of chances saw the hosts 'keeper go from spectator to man of the match within minutes, pulling off numerous saves to deny Henry and maintain his sides lead. At the stroke of half time however the boys finally pulled one back. Henry used his skill to get through a congested penalty area before executing a fine finish from a tight angle. It was no more than he and the boys deserved, having peppered East Bergholt's goal for the closing ten minutes of the half.

The second half began in the same vein that the first ended, with the Seasiders on top and looking to get ahead, and they soon found themselves in front. A shove on Henry inside the box gave the referee no choice but to point to the spot, and Ross stepped up to finish coolly in to the bottom corner. The boys were now beginning to enjoy themselves, creating numerous chances but not quite finding that final touch. A fine passage of play down the right saw the ball fall to Ross on the edge of the box, who smashed it home with a fine strike to make it 3-1. Moments later it was 4. The opposition 'keeper made a quality save from a strike from Harley, but Ross reacted quickest to slot the rebound home and complete his hatrick.

Despite the 3-goal cushion, the Greens continued to pose a threat on the break, with our boys perhaps losing a little positional discipline in their desire to increase the lead. This sloppiness was to be punished with a fine break away move from the home side, which saw them move the ball from deep in their own half to the back of our net within four passes. It was a warning to the Whites not to take anything for granted. To their credit, Felixstowe gave their opponents few chances to reduce the gap further, and they saw the game out reasonably comfortably.

It was another good result for the boys against a strong side with a very good goalkeeper. Though a little scrappy at times, the team reacted very well to going a goal down and finished the game the stronger team. Man of the match was Ross, who took all three of his goals well and is looking increasingly comfortable in his role in right midfield.

Well done boys, lets keep it going next week.