SAT 18 JAN - BURY TOWN (AWAY) - Isthmian League


 Defeat for the Seasiders in local derby


The Seasiders returned home from West Suffolk with nothing to show for their efforts, following a 4-1 loss at Bury Town.

Bury were good value for their win, taking an early lead through Joe White, back in the side after long-term injury, before Cemal Ramadan converted a twice-taken penalty to make it 2-0 in the 44th minute, Ramadan added his second, and Bury's third, in the 64th minute, sweeping home from close range after being teed up by Ross Crane, before substitute Emmanuel Machaya cheekily converted an 88th minute penalty. George Clarke netted a 90th minute consolation, via yet another penalty, for the well-beaten Seasiders.

This defeat, which saw Bury complete a league double and a return to winning ways following three successive defeats, leaves Felixstowe in trouble at the other of the table, second from bottom. They have only won four league games all season, and they face a tough trip to Aveley on Monday night.

Bury started brightly and Ipswich Town loanee Tommy Smith, screwed a 20-yarder high and wide after just three minutes. The Blues took the lead in the seventh minute, following the Seasiders' failure to clear a free-kick pumped into their box by Ross Crane. Keeper Jack Spurling ventured out of his six-yard box but to deal with the cross, home striker Ollie Hughes and defender Dan Davis contested a high ball before the rebound fell kindly for White, who slotted home into an unguarded net from eight yards out. The Seasiders had their share of possession in the first half, but rarely troubled home keeper Dan Barden, although they did have appeals for a penalty turned down on 12 minutes, when Armani Schaar was grounded with Smith in close attendance. At the other end, Jake Chambers-Shaw drilled in a long-range shot which was comfortably saved by Spurling, in the 18th minute, and the Seasiders keeper had to dive to his left to smother a slick shot-on-the-turn from Ramadan on 26 minutes. However, Bury did manage to double their lead, before half-time, via Ramadan's twice-taken penalty. Ryan Jolland powered onto Hughes' pass and was adjudged to have been tripped by centre-half Davis for a penalty. Ramadan's first effort found the bottom corner of the net, despite Spurling getting a hand to it, but the goal was ruled out for encroachment into the box. Ramadan made no mistake from the retaken penalty, again aiming his spot kick to Spurling's right, with the Seasiders keeper this time diving the wrong way.

Enjoying a two-goal cushion going into the second period, Bury came close to adding a third in the 54th minute as Crane's free-kick curled a foot wide of the near post. The Seasiders finally threatened with a serious goal attempt in the 62nd minute, Ollie Canfer seeing his well-struck shot drift only just wide of target with Barden scrambling across his goal, but the game was effectively over as a contest, just two minutes later, as Ramadan swept home Bury's third from close-range, following good work by Crane deep inside the penalty area. Barden protected Bury's three-goal advantage with a superb diving save to thwart Joseph Yaxley from distance in the 74th minute. The Blues scored a fourth when substitute Machaya cheekily converted an 88th minute penalty, although substitute George Clarke did bag a 90th minute consolation for the visitors, again from the penalty spot following a foul on Callum Bennett.

Speaking after the match, Felixstowe Manager Stuart Boardley said. “We went into the game well prepared, we knew what Bury can offer and we said we needed to keep it tight early on, which we didn’t do, due to our inability to track runners from set pieces which is really disappointing. I thought defensively we weren’t great today but for large periods, particularly first half, I thought we were the better side. We didn’t create many chances offensively but we moved the ball well and had more possession, but that doesn’t win you football matches and unfortunately we weren’t good enough in the two boxes today.” Looking ahead to Monday game at Aveley, Boardley went on to say. “We have a couple of players with knocks today, plus we would have made some enforced changes due to the two games in three days. It is going to be difficult but we have been to watch them and we know what to expect again.”

Kick-off at Parkside, Aveley is 7.45pm and any support on the night would be hugely appreciated.



Team Line-Ups Here

Photo Gallery here