The Game That Had It All - U15 Cup

Witnesham Wasps U15 Black 5 v 5 Fxt & Walton Utd U15 Red (a.e.t) Felixstowe win 4-3 on penalties.

Being drawn away to the Div 1 League Leaders was not the cup diversion we might have wished for, nor was the loss of our goalkeeper the day before!
We had only lost to The Wasps by a one goal margin two weeks ago in a very competitive league game, so we certainly had reason to be optimistic.
For the sake of the team, Josh Burman gamely donned the gloves and Coach Jason started with a 3-5-2 formation.
Once again, the boys showed that they were very capable of holding their own at this level, competing and tackling well, offering a real attacking threat, all with a great team spirit.
Witnesham opened the scoring on 10 mins when a good cross following a throw in, was neatly knocked in at the far post. 0-1.  Five mins later, Harvey launched a Seasiders free kick in to the Wasps penalty box, Capt. Seb chested it down, turned, and fired the ball under the keeper. 1-1.
Jakes cross was powerfully met by Narteys head, but the ball rebounded off the crossbar. 20 mins - Jake tried a rather unorthodox cross with an overhead kick from the right wing, Seb headed the ball downwards text book fashion and it
bounced into the goal over the keepers head. 2-1. This period of Felixstowe dominance continued, Nartey having another good effort saved, and Jake hitting the bar.
In the closing minutes of the first half, Witnesham suddenly punished us with two quick goals from their dangerous forwards, and as the whistle went, we found ourselves, rather unluckily, 2-3 down.
Within 8 mins of the second half opening, Matt flighted a great corner into the 6 yard box and Jake rose strongly to head home. 3-3.
Almost immediately, Nartey used his pace and power to be first to the ball on the edge of the box, but the advancing keeper just finger tipped it wide.
60 mins – a counter-attack by The Wasps saw a strong shot fly past Josh. 3-4.
63 mins – Matts corner, Nartey intelligently laid it off to George who saw his rising shot, just clear the crossbar. 65 mins a Witnesham defender conceded a penalty for handball on the edge of his box. Seb took the responsibility, and calmly made it 4-4. What a great game.
Jakes passion got the better of him with just 7 mins to go, and he became our first sin bin victim of the season. Witnesham thought the man advantage might allow them to find a winner, but 80 mins arrived without any further score.
Full Time 4-4.
Extra Time loomed. 10 minutes each way.
There was no score, in the first period of extra time, but in the second Witnesham drew first blood. 4-5. Felixstowe showed great character to pick themselves up from that blow, and fight for an equaliser. With time drifting away, Jake was fouled out on the left wing.
Our free kick was knocked down by the Wasps keeper, and in the ensuing melee the ball ended up in the hosts goal off a desperate defender. 5-5.
Inexplicably the keeper appeared to take exception to Seb retrieving the ball from the net, and in a tussle, wrestled our captain to the ground, and was sent off!
Witnesham would have an outfield player in goal for the penalty shoot out. I hope you are still with me?
Felixstowe scored with their first four penalties by Harvey, Harry, Seb and Jake.
Witnesham scored three but hit the post with the other.
Matts penalty would win it, but it was saved. The Wasps 5th penalty taker had to score to take it to sudden death, but he blasted it over.
Felixstowe win 4-3 on penalties.
A superb win for The Seasiders. In the game that had it all.
10 goals, a sin bin, a sending off, extra time and penalties.
Many Thanks to our team sponsors UKCS Limited.
Without YOU, there isn’t an US!