Seasiders 1 Newmarket 2

Thurlow Nunn League - Premier Division

Saturday 17th March 2018

First things first, to the 202 hardy souls who braved the freezing temperatures on Saturday, on behalf of everyone at the club, players, management and committee, thank you for supporting the Seasiders, lots of football on the TV, lots of Rugby (including England) on the TV yet you chose live football at The Goldstar, a sincere thanks to each and every one of you, sadly after a six week absence from the Goldstar and three weeks without a game of any sort, the side were unable to provide you with reward, in the way of three points, for your efforts, not through lack of trying, but we don’t give up, we go again next Saturday, we are still league leaders with a huge prize to play for, please keep your support coming!














It was without doubt the coldest day of the year so far, the pitch, considering the snow and frost of the previous few days, was in remarkably good conditions, although the blue lines made a stark contrast to the sprinkling of snow that remained on the playing surface.

In the end this third consecutive home defeat opened the door wider for the two sides in hot pursuit as the side failed to make the most of a perfect start after Joe Francis had fired us into the lead from the penalty spot inside the first minute. It was our first game for three weeks and the first at home in over six weeks, and it showed, the side struggled to string any moves of note together on a bitterly cold afternoon against a young Newmarket side eager to gain revenge for a 4-1 home defeat in mid-February.

With the lines painted blue, it took referee Mark Chalkley a couple of seconds before pointing to the penalty spot after Joe Francis had been brought down as he cut inside from the right with a surging run straight from the kick-off, but after checking, he pointed to the spot and Francis got up to drill home his 22nd goal of the season.

Regan Pelling looked to have doubled the score in the 22nd minute from a Francis corner, but Newmarket’s Ethan Murphy hooked the ball away from off the line to keep it at 1-0, and on the half hour it was all square as Shaun Avis got the final touch in a packed goalmouth to prod player/manager Michael Shinn’s corner kick past Danny Crump.

The goal lifted Newmarket and they began to take control, forcing Crump into a fingertip save to deny Lambert just before the hour, and a minute later pouncing on a weak back pass with Avis intercepting the ball to round Crump and roll it into an into an unguarded net.

The Seasiders used their full complement of substitutes as looked to get back in the game, with Archer saving from substitute Stuart Wardley’s free kick, and then pulling off a save in the third of six additional minutes to deny Powell.


There’s no doubt the loss is a major setback for the side, but we remain top with everything still to play for, Coggeshall saw their game fall victim to the weather, while Histon in 4th spot battled out a 1-1 draw at Kirkley & Pakefield, the growing threat from Stowmarket continues as they collected another big win at home against 5th placed Brantham Athletic.