Seasiders 3 Gorleston 2

Thurlow Nunn League

Premier Division

Saturday 30th December 2017

After three games without a win and not being at our best, I think this game was the perfect fixture, I mean that as a compliment to the Greens, we knew before the start, whatever 11 players Gorleston fielded, they would be competitive and we would have to improve massively if we were to compete with them and get past a miserable Christmas on the field.

Leading scorer Miles Powell returned to the starting line-up for the first time since the beginning of November, to strike twice in the second half and secure all three points for the Seasiders, ending a run of three games without a win.

Another excellent crowd of over 350 saw the Seasiders produce an entertaining game to sign off 2017… Kye Ruel put the league leaders ahead mid-way through the first half, and they looked comfortably in control, but two goals in the final five minutes of the first period from Ingram and Gilfedder saw Gorleston take an interval lead. Powell’s goal immediately after the restart and a second ten minutes later was enough for the home side to regain the lead, claim their first win in four, and finish the year on a high.

Both keepers were in early action, with Molloy collecting from Powell and Crump in the home goal alert to Pinneiro's low drive before Ruel opened the scoring in the 23rd minute. A chipped free kick from Boardley over the Gorleston wall found Ruel, who steered the ball home. Gorleston looked for a quick reply, with Crump producing a low save to deny first McKay and then headers from Lambert and Gilfedder.  Felixstowe earned successive corners with Gorleston breaking from the second through McKay to bring the sides level in the 42nd minute. Crump blocked McKay’s initial effort but Ingram following up, stabbed home the loose ball, and on the stroke of half time the visitors were ahead through Gilfedder, who headed beyond Crump from a corner.

Powell headed home at the near post from Boardley's corner after the restart to bring the sides level again before retaking the lead on 55 minutes. Francis advanced down the right, producing a precision cross to Clarke on the left and his ball into the area was met by Powell to head home what proved to be the winner. Chaplin struck the visitors’ bar as the home side finished strongly, happy to see the recent negative run of three games without a win come to an end.

Report Chris Ryan