Under 15 Match Reports 2017/18

Hadleigh United 1 Seasiders 1

Saturday 14th October 2017

South Suffolk Youth League

14th October saw the fourth game of the South Suffolk U'15 League division 1 as Felixstowe and Walton travelled to newly promoted Hadleigh United for an early season top of the table clash at The Millfield looking to bounce back from last weeks disappointing exit from the cup. The sun was shining and there was a good crowd hoping for a good competitive match on what turned out to be a very difficult pitch to play on but the same for both teams.

Felixstowe lined up with Freddy in goal , a back four of Krystian , Cale , Jolyon and Connor , a midfield of Jamie , Ben , Marcus and Matty Wright , with Ethan and Colby up front. On the bench was Matty Swain and Shayne.

The game kicked off and for the opening 10 minutes neither team were able to able to take control of the game, mainly due to the playing surface and the fact that they were cancelling each other out. Jolyon was enjoying his physical battle with Leroy the Hadleigh centre forward having finally met someone of his same build and Cale was sweeping up nicely in his now familiar centre back role. Chances were few and far between in the first 20 minutes with Hadleigh limited to a couple of shots from Curtis which were well dealt with by the vocal Freddy in goal and Felixstowe limited to a shot from Ethan, a shot from Ben following good work down the left flank by Connor, and a couple of Jamie corners which came to nothing.

However after 25 minutes the game came to life. Cale made a vital interception in the Felixstowe penalty area but the ball fell to a Hadleigh player who shot with great power at Freddy who made a cracking save. Unfortunately the ball rebounded to Curtis who was deemed to have been tripped by Freddy as he attempted to go round him and the referee awarded a penalty. Curtis stepped up and pulled his shot wide. Probably justice was done as the penalty decision looked harsh. The missed penalty seemed to really spur Hadleigh on and they dominated the last 15 minutes of the first half and had numerous attempts on goal with only excellent goalkeeping from Freddy and the crossbar keeping the score level.

Half time score Hadleigh United 0 Felixstowe 0.

The coaches were pleased to go in level at half time albeit on a very tricky pitch and the message for the second half was stay tight at the back and we are more then capable of scoring a goal.

The second half kicked off with Felixstowe making a minor change to their formation. Ben who had been struggling with a knee injury moved to centre back and Cale moved into his more familiar central midfield role. The opening exchanges were very similar to the first half with both teams struggling to play passing football however 5 minutes into the second half Hadleigh took the lead.

A throw in evaded the Felixstowe defence and Curtis was there to bundle the ball over the line. Felixstowe then made a substitution. Matty Swain replaced Matty Wright who had worked the left flank well with little joy slotting into the left back position with Connor moving up to left midfield. Within minutes it looked liked the substitution had paid off with a moment of magic from Matty Swain to bring Felixstowe back into the game. He picked up the ball on the left hand side beat one man then another looked up and rifled a shot from 30 yards into the top corner. Celebrations with the players and coaches took place and all of a sudden Felixstowe had a spring in their step and there was a belief amongst the players that they could win the game.

The vocal encouragement between the players on the pitch was fantastic and they started to play football with some crisp passing. Marcus and Cale were starting to boss the midfield and Colby was working tirelessly for the team. An excellent delivery from a Jamie Taylor corner saw an Ethan header well saved in the bottom corner by the Hadleigh goalkeeper and Ben had a free kick from distance go over the bar. The physical battles on the pitch were starting to become more intense with Jolyon and Ben in commanding form at the back and with 10 minutes to go a last ditch tackle from Ben denied Hadleigh a great opportunity to take the lead. The last 5 minutes were frantic with first Marcus just shooting wide and then Hadleigh doing the same however the final whistle was blown.

Full time score Hadleigh United 1 Felixstowe 1.

Another great advert for youth football with the match played in a good spirit and on a better pitch the game would have been more suited to the passing game of Felixstowe however Hadleigh looked a very well organised unit who looked like they will be a match for any team in this league this season. A draw was probably a fair result. The boys now have a 3 week break from Saturday football and hopefully this will give the opportunity for Euan and Kieran to get themselves fit from their current injuries.

Richard S



Seasiders 4 Witnesham Wasps 3

Saturday 30th September 2017

South Suffolk Youth League

30th September saw the third game of the South Suffolk U'15 League division 1 as Felixstowe and Walton welcomed the current reigning champions Witnesham Wasps to Langley Avenue for what is always a quality game against quality opposition. The boys were eager to get back to playing competitive football following the unfortunate postponement of both matches last weekend. The pitch looked good having been newly cut and the usual suspects were on hand to put up the nets.

Felixstowe lined up with Freddy in goal , a back four of Krystian , Cale , Jolyon and Connor , a midfield of Jamie , Ben , a fit again Marcus and Colby , with Ethan and the returning Euan up front. On the bench was Matty Swain , Mattie Wright and Shayne.

The game kicked off and Felixstowe started off how they had been playing in the previous 2 games full of confidence and passing the ball fluently, 3 minutes in and Ethan found Jamie who in turn laid the ball back to Marcus who shot just wide. Further attacks followed and 2 further shots from Ethan following great passes from Marcus and Euan were well saved by the Witnesham goalkeeper.

It didn't seem long before Felixstowe would take the lead however Witnesham played a great ball over the defence and not for the first time in the game Jolyon was there to make a great saving tackle. Felixstowe needed to be patient for their chance to come and further goal scoring attempts fell to Connor, Ethan, Ben and Euan and at the other end Witnesham had a shot just wide and over the bar, however the deadlock was finally broken midway through the first half when the outstanding strike force of Ethan and Euan linked up brilliantly with Euan as he has done all season finishing superbly to put Felixstowe 1-0 up.

A well deserved lead which seemed to settle the boys down, Cale was outstanding in his unusual position of central defender playing the ball with simplicity and accuracy and Jolyon was immense winning numerous headers and tackling so well. Marcus and Ben were marshalling the midfield with authority and Jamie and Colby were working hard down the flanks and it wasn't long before Felixstowe increased their lead following the move of the match. Marcus played the ball out to Colby who didn't panic and laid it back to Connor who put in a superb cross and Ethan headed it in. What a well worked goal! The first half closed with Freddie smothering a Witnesham shot with the follow up going over the bar.

Half time Felixstowe 2  Witnesham Wasps 0.

The coaches were delighted with the first half performance and needed to see much of the same in the second half.

The second half started and it wasn't long before Felixstowe increased their lead following another exchange of passes between Euan and Ethan with Ethan finishing from close range to put Felixstowe 3-0 up. As is often the case with good teams Witnesham did not let their heads drop and started to get back into the game and Felixstowe started to lose their passing accuracy and it wasn't long before Witnesham pulled a goal back following a great free kick from their goalkeeper which was headed in to the bottom corner.

Their heads were up and another free kick soon followed but this time was just headed wide and then Freddie pulled off a great save following a defence splitting pass from the opposition. It was turning out to be a game of 2 halves and it looked like the next goal was going to come from Witnesham and it soon did following a short back pass being intercepted and the ball was in the back of the net.

Felixstowe substitutions soon followed with Matty Wright and Shayne replacing Jamie and the outstanding Cale and it was time for the boys to regroup. It then became an end to end game with Witnesham pushing for an equaliser and Felixstowe looking to give themselves some breathing space with another goal and chances arrived for both teams  but it was Felixstowe who got the all important next goal.

Euan beat the Witnesham goalkeeper to the ball with his pace and cooly slotted home for his second goal of the game. Big celebrations on the touch line from both supporters and coaches. As was the case throughout the second half Witnesham continued to battle and not give up and scored a third goal to make the final 10 minutes of the game rather frantic and nervy for the home supporters however the final whistle was finally blown and Felixstowe held out for a hard fought victory.

Full time Felixstowe 4 Witnesham Wasps 3.

A great advert for youth football with the match played in great spirit at a high tempo and full of quality between 2 good footballing teams. Felixstowe are thriving on now having 2 quality centre forwards who certainly know where the goal is which is probably the final piece of the jigsaw that they have been missing for the last few seasons. The squad now has strength in depth as well as versatility demonstrated by Cale's ability to slot into central defence and look like he has played there all his life. The team now need to build on this impressive result going into next weeks cup match against Whitton Whites. On behalf of all the boys and parents we wish our skipper Kieran a speedy recovery from his knee injury.


Richard S


Whitton United (Green) - Away

Saturday 16th September 2017

South Suffolk Youth League

16th September saw the second game of the South Suffolk U'15 League division 1 as Felixstowe and Walton visited newly promoted Whitton Green at the King George V playing fields buoyed by last weekends fine victory and all round team performance in their opening game against Ipswich Wanderers. The playing surface looked great and the conditions were good despite the pitch having a bit of a slope. The squad were put through their pre match routine by Dan and Heath along with a motivational 10 minutes from Chris Hunt.

Felixstowe lined up with Freddy in goal , a back four of Matty Swain , Kieran , Krystian and Connor , a midfield of Jamie , Ben , Cale and Matty Wright with Ethan and Colby up front. On the bench was Jolyon and Shayne with Marcus injured and Euan unavailable.

The game kicked off and both teams looked well motivated for the game but for the opening 10 minutes they cancelled each other out with some good tackling and chances were few and far between. Felixstowe then started to stamp their authority on the game and the passing became fluent and the boys sensed that chances would arrive and that duly happened after 15 minutes. Felixstowe were awarded a free kick 25 yards out after a foul on Colby. Ben took control of proceedings and we all expected a shot at goal but rather cleverly he chipped the ball in to the box and the big man Connor was there to head it past the keeper and 1-0 to Felixstowe.

The goal was what the team needed and you could see the boys grow in confidence and the passes started to flow. The defence was rarely troubled but when called upon Kieran and Krystian were solid and our full backs Matty Swain and Connor were starting to get down the flanks ably supported by Matty Wright and Jamie. Ben and Cale were working hard in midfield linking up the play between defence and attack and Ethan was working tirelessly up front enjoying the battle with his old team mates and it looked a matter of time before he would get his just reward.

On 20 minutes Colby went on a mazy run and shot just wide of the keeper but on the stroke of half time Felixstowe got their second goal of the game. Matty Wright was fouled on the edge of the box and our set piece expert Jamie delivered an inch perfect cross on to the head of Ethan who hit the back of the net.

Half time Whitton Green 0 Felixstowe 2.

Second half saw Jolyon on for Connor and Shayne on for Cale and the instruction from Dan was "much of the same boys".

The second half started much the same as the first half with both teams cancelling each other out but Felixstowe were rarely troubled and Freddy dealt with all that was thrown at him very well.

Felixstowe started to press the Whitton goal and had various shots on target and more chances were being created and it looked like a third goal was inevitable. 15 minutes into the second half Felixstowe were awarded a corner and Jamie's excellent delivery was headed in by Ethan for his second goal of the game.

Further opportunities came with attempts on goal from Ben , Kieran , Shayne , Matty Swain and a mazy run out of defence from Jolyon which ended up with a shot. There was still time for Ethan to complete his hatrick when he scored from close range following a shot from Connor.

Full time Whitton Green 0 Felixstowe 4.

A competitive game played in good spirit by both teams and Whitton Green certainly didn't look out of place in this league. Another clean sheet for Felixstowe in a game that they controlled from start to finish. Confidence levels are high fitness levels are great and at times the passing was excellent. We now move onto next week where we face Cranes in what is always a great fixture.

Richard S



Ipswich Wanderers 0 Seasiders 13

South Suffolk Youth League

Saturday 9th September 2017

9th September saw the opening game of the South Suffolk U'15 League division 1 as Felixstowe and Walton visited Ipswich Wanderer's at Humber Doucy Lane. The sun was shining and the squad were buoyant following a hard 3 months of pre-season training which will hopefully be fruitful come the end of the season. We have seen the arrival of 4 new players in Shane , Marcus , Euan and Ethan which has added stability creativity and hopefully goals to the existing squad.

Felixstowe lined up with Freddy in goal , a back four of Matty Swain , Kieran our new skipper, Jolyon and Connor, a midfield of Jamie, Ben, Marcus and Matty Wright, and our new strike force of Ethan and Euan. On the bench with Sunday's EJA game very much in mind was Cale, Colby, Shane and Krystian.

Felixstowe started the game at an electrifying pace passing the ball crisply and accurately and working hard for each other and it wasn't long before they took an early lead with a debut goal from Ethan from close range following a great team move. It was nearly two soon after following a great delivery from Matty Swain into the box which was touched just wide by Matty Wright however it wasn't long before number 2 was scored with another goal from Ethan this time with a bullet header following a great delivery from Jamie's corner whose set piece play was outstanding all game. 10 minutes later this was repeated but this time a debut goal from Euan.

Jolyon and Kieran were holding a tight ship in defence with good overlap play from Connor and Matty Swain down the flanks who linked up well with Matty Wright and Jamie on the flanks. The midfield duo of Ben and Marcus were looking assured and in total control of what they were doing which instilled confidence throughout the team and our front two of Euan and Ethan were proving a real handful for the Wanderers defence with their tireless running. Freddy was vocal from the back despite being a spectator for most of the game.

It was only a matter of time before the next goal arrived and this time it was from the head of Matty Wright following a great cross from the unlikely source of Kieran. 5 minutes from half time Felixstowe scored their fifth following a trademark run down the flank from Connor whose cross come shot from 30 yards flew into the top corner. What a finish!! There was still time for another goal before half time when Ethan played a defence splitting pass into the path of a Euan who calmly slotted home for his second goal of the game. Half time score Wanderers 0 Felixstowe 6.

Second half saw Cale on for Marcus , Kristian on for Connor , Shane on for Jamie and Colby on for Euan and the word from the coaches was carry on what you are doing and more goals will come.

It wasn't long before Cale got his name on the scoresheet scoring from close range following good build up play from the team and another debutant Shane scored soon after following a great cross from Matty Wright. By now the confidence of the team was brimming and it looked like goals would come from all over the pitch and it wasn't long before Matty Swain scored 2 goals in quick succession the first a cracking shot from 25 yards which just evaded the keepers grasp and the second was rather fortuitous again from long range but just slipping under the keepers body. There was still time for both Ethan and Euan to complete their hatrick's with more accomplished finishing and Colby to get his name on the scoresheet with a very composed finish from inside the penalty area. Full time score Wanderers 0 Felixstowe 13.

A real team effort with the goals spread between 8 different players which demonstrates the strength in depth the squad has this season. The passing and movement was slick and the fitness levels were excellent throughout. This result will bring much confidence to the team as we move into next week to face the newly promoted Whitton Green team.

Richard S.