Under 12 Red Match Reports 2017/18

Ipswich Wanderers - Home

Sponsored by:          

Date: Saturday 6th January, 2018

Squad:  Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan, Jarvis, Mason, Tatiana

Management: Anton Zefi and Isaac Chennery

I hope you all got want you wanted for Christmas. My kids really pushed the boat out this year and got me a bic four-colour pen. I was a bit disappointed if I’m truthful as I’d put a lot of thought and effort into their presents. I got Tommy a fitted carpet which I’m letting him keep on the floor of my lounge and for Alfie I got hide and seek. He was made up.!!!

Just a quick few words on the Team’s Christmas Party. Graham Sharplin – what a mover, what a groover and what a hoover.!!!

Following last years’ final match defeat we didn’t want losing to turn in to a bad habit. This is because habits are like a good bed; easy to get in to, but hard to get out of.

The last time we played Wanderers was in that cup game. You know, the one where we lost one-zip and as a result are now “concentrating on the Plate.” Revenge in this match would be sweet as it would repair the scars of the previous game and also provide a welcome boost going in the second half of the league season where the boys are still in with a great chance of winning the title.

The game kicked off on a cold, crisp morning and the first chance fell to Felixstowe when Alfie R set up Asa whose shot went wide. Asa had another half-chance ten minutes later when good work from Luke and Harvey set him up, but this time his effort was straight into the arms of the ‘keeper. Felixstowe looked the better side in the first fifteen minutes of the match and this continued to be the case as they took the game to the opposition. After seventeen minutes Muzzy was set up by good work from Luke, but his effort was well wide of the mark. A minute later and another chance for the home side. This time it was Alfie R to Ethan and once again the ‘keeper pulled off a decent save.

The last five minutes of the half saw three further chances for Felixstowe to open the scoring. Firstly a great move involving Alfie R and Muzzy set up Harvey who shot wide, then Muzzy set up Alfie R who saw his shot saved and finally Muzzy’s effort from a corner was saved.

The first half ended in stalemate. Wanderers had not had a real chance on goal and had only forced a couple corners and a free-kick. Their strikers had been marshalled perfectly by Joe and Ellis in defence and the midfield was being run by Harvey and Muzzy. The lads deserved to be in the lead at half-time, but with the second half looming you could see they were confident of getting a result.

The first chance of the second half went to the visitors. A through ball to their striker put him one-on-one with Alfie S who was quick off his line to gather the ball at the striker’s feet. At the other end Felixstowe nearly took the lead a couple of minutes later when Harvey’s shot hit the bar. In the fiftieth minute F&W carved out another chance and this time it was Mason who saw his effort go wide of the target. Alfie M, Kyle and Tatiana were all working hard, but try as they might the breakthrough goal was proving elusive.

Ipswich Wanderers were not as much on the back foot as the first half and spent more time in the boys’ half and created a few half-chances themselves. However, their opportunities were kept to a minimum and Jarvis in defence was proving to be a rock. Their best chance came with ten minutes to go when one of their forwards ran on to a through ball. However, Alfie S was quickly out to narrow the angle and the shot went well wide.

In the sixtieth minute it looked like the deadlock would be broken. The ball eventually finding its way to Asa who took a shot that was blocked when perhaps the ball should have been moved on to Harvey who was free at the far post. Felixstowe had a further chance late on when Ethan battled his way past a defender and ran towards the opposition goal. He took a shot and it was going in to the corner of the goal but the Wanderers’ ‘keeper superbly tipped it round the post.

The game ended in 0-0 draw. A disappointing result for Felixstowe, but a lesson to prove that we need to be more clinical in front of goal. The visitors defended resolutely and once again their ‘keeper put in a superb performance.

Don’t get too downhearted, F&W can still win the league as long they win all their remaining matches.


We have some tough games ahead and hopefully they can pull it off. If not we can always concentrate on the Plate.!!!!!


Just remember, if football was easy it’d be called rugby.!!


The future’s bright, it’s Red and White


Ransomes - Away

Sponsored by:          

Date: Saturday 16th December, 2017

Squad: Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan, Jarvis, Mason, Tatiana

Management: Anton Zefi and Isaac Chennery

It was in to Ipswich this week with an away clash against Ransomes who had been well beaten at home by the boys a month earlier. Felixstowe were still top of the pile with seven wins from seven and were hoping to remain unbeaten going into the festive period so that they could enjoy their turkey washed down with a carafe of ginger beer. Would they get the cane out of the closet and once again give them a damn good thrashing? Read on.

Once again the weather was cold, but fortunately there was sunshine with no wind which made it just about bearable. A decent crowd was in attendance and Anton was slightly late. I don’t know what he’d been doing, but he looked a bit dishevelled and I took one look at him and realised that I’d forgotten to put the rubbish out.

The game started and the home team looked very festive in their satsuma coloured kit. The first ten minutes passed with a couple of corners from either side which came to nothing and it was obvious the game was going to be a battle and that chances would be few and far between. Muzzy and Ellis were looking solid at the back and restricting the opposition to scraps, whilst at the other end the visitors had poor efforts by Harvey and Anthony easily saved. After nineteen minutes Alfie S in the F&W was quickly off his line to deal with a dangerous through ball and a minute later at the other end Luke fired over after good work from Joe and Ethan. The final two minutes of the half saw a Ransomes corner headed well wide and a first time shot from Ethan went just over the bar. The half ended 0-0 which was a fair reflection on the play.

Two minutes in to the second half Ransomes had a free-kick from twenty-eight yards out that was well held by Alfie S and six minutes later he gathered a cross well to stop a potential goal scoring opportunity. Felixstowe crafted out a couple of chances too. Firstly the home keeper saved bravely at Mason’s feet and then a neat passing move involving Alfie M led to a shot from Harvey going well wide.

The deadlock was eventually broken in the forty-eighth minute when a Ransomes shot was deflected for a corner. From this set-piece the ball was floated into the penalty area where it was headed in by a boy in tangerine and it was 1-0 to the home team.

Straight after the goal Felixstowe forced a corner, but there was more action at the other end where Ransomes had an effort saved by Alfie and they also had poor shot that gave him no trouble at all. Then on fifty-eight minutes Alfie R stole the ball from a Ransomes forward and passed it wide to Ellis. He then fed Ethan with an early Christmas present that he duly converted and it was 1-1.

  The game was now level and both sides were trying hard to keep opposition chances to a minimum with Jarvis, Muzzy and Luke all putting in good tackles to thwart attacks. However, in the sixty-third minute a through ball by the home side evaded all the defensive bodies and was collected by the Ransomes striker. He took a touch, ran wide of the keeper, but appeared to be pushed and the referee pointed to the spot. The subsequent kick was well converted and the score moved to 2-1.

The final minutes of the game threw up chances for Felixstowe to equalize. Ant had a shot deflected wide and then an effort from Ethan crashed against the bar. Straight after this chance Ethan intercepted a pass and saw his shot tipped wide by the keeper and then from a corner there was drama in the box when only great defending by the home side with three players on the line prevented our boys getting a deserved equaliser.

In the final minute Luke saw his effort fly over the bar and the only people celebrating at the full-time whistle were Ransomes ……………. and Woodbridge.!!!


Felixstowe and Walton United under 12s no longer remain like an unassembled drum kit; unbeaten. (What a Christmas cracker that is.) Enjoy the festive period and the boys will be back in the new year to continue their quest for the league title.

The future’s bright, it’s Red and White


Claydon - Away 

Sponsored by:          

Date: Saturday 9th December, 2017


Team: Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan, Jarvis, Mason, Tatiana

Management: Anton Zefi and Isaac Chennery

Off to the quaint village of Claydon this week and when we go there we like to take our own village idiot. Unfortunately on this occasion Anton was working so they were saved the usual antics, shouting and waiting to see if he could put together a coherent sentence. The last meeting between the two sides resulted in a home victory to the Seasiders by a six goal margin and hopes were high that the boys could maintain their unbeaten league form.

Most games in the area had been called off due to a cold snap, but all the games at Claydon went ahead and the pitches were in good order. Not many spectators in attendance this week which was probably due to the fact it was Arctic conditions. However, in Alia’s absence Billy “picked up the mantle” and within ten seconds of arrival he had sniffed out the tea bar and returned with a coffee and a cornucopia of breakfast baps. It looks like Alia has competition and hopefully we’ll see her up her game over the coming weeks. 

The match commenced and for some reason the boys were not on their game. In the first ten minutes their marking was poor and this led to the home team having two decent attempts to advance the score. Their first effort went wide and their second went high; but both could have embarrassed the league leaders. Felixstowe’s first effort came after ten minutes when Alfie M fired a shot from eighteen yards into the keeper’s arms. The same player had another two efforts from a corner three minutes later, but on both occasions the ball was blocked by a defender.

On fourteen minutes Muzzy had a shot from distance tipped round the post after being set up by Jarvis and a minute later a run and cross from Mason found Alfie R who’s first time effort sailed over the bar. F&W’s breakthrough came after eighteen minutes. Joe got the ball in his own half, ran twenty yards and then unleashed a venomous shot that hit the crossbar, bounced and Kyle rushing in tapped the ball over the line and it was 0-1.

Seven minutes later and the boys extended their lead. A corner was sent in to the box where it caused mayhem and Asa was on hand to drill the ball over the line from a few yards out and it was 0-2. Two minutes later Anthony crossed the ball to Alfie R who moved it quickly to Asa to make it 0-3.

With a few minutes to go Felixstowe were still creating chances and Ethan had a one-on-one with the keeper but came off second best. Then Alfie R floated a corner into the back post where Asa was on hand to header the ball in to the net for his hat-trick and the score at half-time was 0-4 to the visitors.

The second half commenced with Charlie up front and he showed great pace when chasing Alfie S’s long ball. He cruised round a defender like he wasn’t there but couldn’t find a finish to match his devastating run. Three minutes later Harvey had a shot tipped round the post and at the other end Claydon had a rare opportunity when their striker ran on to a through ball and saw his shot go straight into the keeper’s arms. On fifty-five minutes Ethan had a shot parried by the Claydon custodian, but Asa was following up and duly converted to make it 0-5. Four goals for him so we had no choice but to substitute him.!!!!!

The next twenty minutes saw Felixstowe create further chances. Ethan had an effort saved, Alfie R toe-poked an effort straight at the keeper, Joe had a twenty-yarder saved and Alfie M headed on to the bar with the rebound going over by Kyle. On sixty-three minutes Charlie once again ghosted past a defender and this time passed the ball to Alfie R who saw his powerful left foot shot wonderfully saved by the Claydon keeper. Straight after this Claydon raced up the pitch, but once again their effort was easily saved by Alfie S. Harvey then had a shot saved and then an Alfie R shot was deflected into the goal by Charlie for 0-6.

Although there was only a minute or two to play, Felixstowe weren’t finished. A neat through ball from Ellis to Alfie R saw him convert the opportunity and make the final score 0-7.



The boys started badly and slowly raised their game in very cold conditions. Subs were used on a regular basis in order to keep the boys warm and it was difficult for them to keep their shape. Despite the aforementioned, they worked well as team and got their rewards. Special mention to the defence who after the first ten minutes knuckled down and restricted the opposition to scraps. Alfie S had a good game and was always quick off his line to clear any danger. However, the star of the game (apart from Asa of course) was the Claydon goalie who pulled off some superb saves and but for him the score would have been well in to double figures. Take a bow son.

The future’s bright, it’s Red and White









Framlingham - Plate - away

Sponsored by:          

Date: Saturday 2nd December, 2017

Squad: Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan, Jarvis, Mason, Tatiana

Management: Anton Zefi and Isaac Chennery

There I was lying in bed feeling at a loose end, when I suddenly remembered it was Saturday morning. That spoiled the moment, but hey, anything for football. The travelling band of away supporters expected another victory against Framlingham, this time in the Plate competition. Three weeks ago they had beaten them by a three goal margin in the league and confidence was as high as my IQ (no comments please).

With the weather taking a turn for the worse it was obvious that the festive season was on its way and it reminded of Anton last year. He stood under the mistletoe on Christmas Day waiting for a kiss, but because he’s so ugly he was still there at New Year.

Just before kick-off I spotted the F&W soccer mums at the corner flag; all dressed in black it looked just like a witches coven, but I guess they were just putting the world to right as usual. Linesman for the day was Graham, who once again had his newish Tiempo boots on and had now completed the ensemble with tracksuit bottoms and a rather elegant rainproof jacket. He sports the “shop window dummy” look extremely well.

The pitch was looking in poor shape as it was wet and a game had taken place beforehand, but it was the same for both teams so no complaints. The match kicked off and Felixstowe’s first effort in the second minute ended in a goal. Ethan received the ball, powered down the left flank and let fly with a shot that got the net bulging. It was 0-1 and the home side looked shell-shocked.

For the next twenty minutes or so the game was well contested, with Felixstowe looking a bit ragged in places and the opposition defending well. Early chances fell to Ant who had a snap shot go wide, Asa had a mazy run that finished with his shot saved and Alfie M set up Ethan for a shot that went straight into the keeper’s arms. There was also an attempt on goal from Muzzy that went wide, but likewise there were chances for the home team. In the eighth minute they fired over the bar, two minutes later a shot was deflected over the bar and when their striker was clean through he was only prevented from opening their account by a good save from Charlie. In the twenty-eighth minute the visiting fans breathed a sigh of relief as F&W scored their second and thoughts then turned to winning comfortably. Ellis passed to Ethan and he let fly with a shot that powered in to the top corner of the net and it was 0-2.

Although F&W had a two goal lead, they were still defending poorly at times and confusion in the ranks gifted chances to Framlingham, but fortunately both went wide of the mark. A let-off for the visitors who went into the break with a two goal advantage and yet it could have been level.

Felixstowe made changes for the second half and at once looked the better for it. Within five minutes of the whistle good work from Asa and Alfie R set up a shot for Harvey, Ethan had a shot straight into the keeper’s arms and a neat move between Harvey and Asa saw Mason’s shot saved and Asa hit the rebound wide. In the forty-first minute the score moved on. Harvey found Alfie R who threaded the ball through to Asa who made it 0-3 with a good finish.

The boys looked composed and were now totally dominant. So much so that two minutes later they increased their advantage. They won a corner which Alfie R floated into the box, nobody dealt with it and it bounced in front of Harvey who tucked it away and it was 0-4.

Over the next few moments the boys’ lead was increased further. Alfie R skipped two tackles and put in a cross that was deflected in to the goal by a defender and it was 0-5. Alfie R then fed Ethan who laid the ball back to Asa who converted the chance and it was 0-6.

Fram kept plugging away and got their reward in the fifty-third minute of the match. Some neat passing in the middle of the park, then a defensive error and the ball was with their striker who finished the move with a shot that went under the keeper and it was 1-6.

Felixstowe continued to dominate proceedings and create chances. Alfie Mundy went on a mazy run that culminated with the keeper saving bravely at his feet and saw his first-time effort saved when Kyle put in a neat cross for him. The visitor’s final goal of the match came courtesy of a corner from Harvey. It was crossed in to the box, Alfie R’s header was parried by the keeper and the rebound turned in by Kyle and it was 1-7.

Thanks to the Framlingham team who made the game competitive and never folded. For Felixstowe and Walton it’s the quarter-final at Capel on 27th January; see you there.

I’ll leave you with one final thought. If you’re a kleptomaniac, can you take something for it?

The future’s still bright, it’s Red and White


Copleston - Home


Sponsored By

Saturday 25th November 2017

Squad: Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan, Jarvis, Mason, Tatiana,

Management: Anton Zefi and Isaac Chennery

Winter was now upon us and the signs were there for all to see. The temperature had taken a significant dip and hats and scarves were more prevalent than points for West Ham. A good crowd had gathered despite the cold and it’s pretty obvious that Daryl needs a good winter coat for Christmas. He had a nice summer jacket on and looked freezing; take note Mrs Baker. No Debbie this week as she was dog-sitting the canine that has now taken over the lives of the Ellis family, but Shaz was there although late on parade yet again.

Following the conclusion of a minutes appreciation for a local football coach who had sadly passed away recently the first half commenced. Openings were few and far between during the initial part of the half and after Felixstowe had forced a corner the first chance fell to Copleston. An error in defence enabled the ball to be crossed into the box where it was met by their striker who skewed it wide when an early goal had looked certain. In the ninth minute the scoreboard started to move after Kyle’s through ball was raced on to by Ethan who skipped round the keeper for 1-0.

The game was now in the control of Felixstowe and four minutes after the restart Joe drilled a ball that kept low and shaved the outside of the right-hand post. Two minutes later Joe turned provider, but his cross went through the penalty area with nobody able to get a finishing touch on it. Further chances were created when Alfie R set up Kyle who saw his shot go straight into the keeper’s arms, Ethan muscled in on the keeper and kneed the bouncing ball wide and Alfie M was very close with a free-kick from fully 23 yards that went just over. Copleston were having chances too, just not as frequently. In the twentieth minute some slack marking gave them a chance that flew over from ten yards when it should have been converted and five minutes later they were prevented from drawing level by a save at the near post by Alfie S in between the F&W sticks.

In the twenty-eighth minute the scoreboard should have clicked over again. Kyle fed Ethan whose shot was tipped away for a corner and from this set piece the ball bounced in the penalty area and fell to Luke who blasted over from three yards. The thirtieth minute saw Alfie M header into the keeper’s arms following a cross from Alfie R and a minute later he had another chance which he converted superbly with a great header to make it 2-0.

The final few minutes of the half saw a Copleston shot from outside the box flash past the post and a shot from Joe that was cleared off the line.

A few questions were debated at half-time. Firstly would the referee continue to act lack Jan Molby and just stay in the centre circle, secondly, as Graham S doesn’t like shopping at next should he use Jacamo and finally, would the Ross’s come back from their romantic weekend with news that child number eight will be making an appearance in nine months’ time?

The second half commenced and great work rate from Asa earned the home team a corner. From this corner Harvey had a shot that was half-blocked, the ball fell to Ethan who duly converted from three yards and it was 3-0.

Two minutes later and the away keeper made a brave save at Ant’s feet. In the fortieth minute Muzzy set up Harvey for a shot that went past the post, a minute later and a cute ball from Ant set up Asa who also shot wide and Ellis also saw an effort blocked. On forty-four minutes good skills from Asa culminated in his shot being straight in the keeper’s arms and three minutes after this he took a free-kick that Ethan flicked on to Harvey who saw his effort go wide from five yards.

The home side continued to dominate and a ball over the top from Ellis found Ethan who saw his smart effort cleared off the line. Two minutes after this and the score moved on when the ball fell to Mason twenty yards from goal and the crowd saw his curled shot go top corner for 4-0.

A couple of minutes after the restart Ethan passed to Asa who moved the ball onto Harvey whose effort went wide. Felixstowe were now totally dominant and the defensive unit of Jarvis, Ellis and Luke were all playing superbly. In the fifty-seventh minute Harvey passed the ball to Alfie M who shot and scored from outside the box to make it 5-0.

The first real chance of the second half for the visitors came after sixty minutes and they made the most of it. One of their midfield trio waltzed around two defenders and passed the ball to a totally unmarked player who converted the chance for 5-1.

Straight from the restart Felixstowe reinstated the difference in the scores. More good skills from Asa set up Ant who produced a cool finish and it was 6-1.

On sixty-three minutes Charlie made a decent save in the F&W goal. At the other end there was confusion when the ball rebounded a few times in the penalty area and was then fired home by Alfie S who was now playing super-striker. Unfortunately the goal was ruled out for off-side and Charlie remains the side’s leading scoring goalkeeper by a margin of two.

With five minutes to go the big Copleston striker had a half-chance that was parried for a corner and a minute later the little Messi had a good run that set up one of his team mates but the effort was wide of the mark.

The final few minutes saw the gap in the scores increase still further. Firstly when Asa rounded the keeper and put the ball into Ant who made it 7-1 and then again when Kyle received the ball and converted for 8-1 which was the final score.

The future’s bright, it’s Red and White


Ransomes - Home


Sponsored By


Saturday 18th November 2017

Squad: Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan, Jarvis, Mason, Tatiana, Henry

Management: Anton Zefi and Isaac Chennery

Going in to the game the boys still had their 100% league record intact and were looking to make it five out of five. The opposition were also in good form having lost only once themselves so a good match was expected by the vast crowd numbering around thirty. A notable absentee this week was Mrs. Mundy who had again 0taken her broom stick to the national quidditch festival in Braintree where she unfortunately only came seventeenth.

The match had been allocated a referee by the league but unfortunately this was cancelled at the last minute and good ‘ol Baz stepped in to save the day. He didn’t have time to put his usual 70’s tracksuit on, so we were blessed with the sight of him running around with his jeans tucked in to his socks and wearing his purple Christmas jumper from last year. A sight to behold indeed.

Felixstowe kicked off the first half and for the opening minutes neither team gained an advantage. The first chance went to Ransomes, when in the fifth minute their striker was put through, but just couldn’t get there quick enough as Alfie in the F&W goal was out swiftly to block his shot. Four minutes later and Ransomes had a chance go wide after nice work between three of their players down the left. The visitors had third chance on thirteen minutes when a free-kick was connected with by a Ransomes player but the effort was at the keeper.

Although the visitors had a few chances, none of them had resulted in a change to the score and now Felixstowe had settled in to a nice rhythm. Their first effort on goal came from a thirty yard shot from Harvey that went straight down the keeper’s throat and a shot by Ant from eighteen yards followed shortly after. In the twenty-second minute Alfie R was set up by Ethan but his shot from a tight angle was at the keeper. In the twenty-fourth minute the deadlock was broken when Alfie R ran down the right flank, crossed the ball to the edge of the area where it was met by Harvey whose shot found the back of the net for 1-0.

A minute after the restart and Alfie R set up Anthony who saw his shot go over the bar and then Ethan was through on goal and was only stopped taking a shot at goal by an immense tackle from a Ransomes defender. On twenty-eight minutes Alfie S in the home goal was called into action when he tipped over the bar a free-kick. A minute later and the ball was up the other end as Ethan fed Anthony who’s shot was parried by the keeper but Mason followed up to make it 2-0.

Ransomes kept going and had another one-on-one with the keeper in the thirty-second minute, but as usual Alfie was out well to produce a superb save. It was then Ethan’s turn for a one-on-one and his effort was also well saved. (Just as Ethan took his shot I said to Kevin Steggles, who was standing next to me, that “it could be all over”.) Unfortunately for Ransomes though the ball broke for to Harvey who from a few yards out made it 3-0. (Then Steggs replied “it is now”. Classic!!)

The final minutes of the half saw further chances for the home side; most notably a shot from Asa that crashed against the bar after being set up by Ethan as a result of his tireless and unselfish running.

The second half started in much the same way as the first had ended with the home side well in control. Their first effort came from when Anthony set up Asa for an eighteen yard shot that went at the keeper and then two good corners from Kyle went begging for a touch to put them in the net. The pressure continued with Ethan setting Harvey for a shot that went wide and then Ethan himself muscled his way through for an effort that was blocked by the keeper.

Twelve minutes into the second half and Ransomes saw an effort saved by Alfie S and then they had a shot that went over the bar when really it should have ended up in the net. A let off for the home side. After fifty minutes a diagonal ball from Anthony was met on the half-volley by Alfie M who saw his chance go wide of the goal. Four minutes later and it was Anthony’s turn and he watched in dis-belief as his eighteen yard curler was well saved. Ransomes then had their best chance to break their duck when confusion between a F&W defender and the keeper let in the Ransomes striker, but he spurned the chance as he struck the ball and saw it shave the outside of the post.

The home side continued to apply pressure and Kyle had a header that went direct in the keepers gloves and then Muzzy produced a neat ball to Ethan whose great skill and finish made it 4-0.

With eight minutes to go it was still Felixstowe who were dominating the proceedings. Charlie controlled the ball well and passed it to Alfie M whose great work ended with him firing over the bar. Shortly after this the ball found its way in to the six yard box where Kyle was quickest to react and prodded it home for 5-0.

Ransomes had a couple of half-chances before the final whistle. One was kicked away by Alfie S who was quick off his line and the other went high and wide. At the end of the game the home side had won by a comfortable margin and go into next week’s game oozing with confidence.

Not much mention of the defence in this report, but they were superb. They showed that whilst goals win games, clean sheets will win the league.

Also at the game was the Woodbridge manager Will. Not being one to miss an opportunity I asked why he was there on a beautiful Saturday morning. Had he been sacked or did he just want to see some decent football? “Neither” he said, “I just had to get out of the house as my pregnant girlfriend is doing my head in.” Wait until the baby’s born mate.!!!!!

The future’s bright, it’s Red and White


Framlingham  - Home

Sponsored by:   

Saturday 11th November, 2017

Squad: Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan, Jarvis, Mason, Tatiana, Henry

Management: Anton Zefi and Isaac Chennery


After last week’s goal-fest in the Plate Competition it was back to the bread and butter of the league and the visit of Framlingham. Notable spectators for this game were Shaz who is well on the road to recovery (hooray), Gemma the Bag Lady and Neil who was munching a bacon roll and earlier in the week had enjoyed chicken and chips from a takeaway. Don’t let your wife find out mate.

The main talking point of the morning was the referee. Ross was looking resplendent in lycra and certainly got the ladies talking. What next, Baz in lycra? We’ll see. After the swooning had subsided it was on to the minute’s silence which was observed by all and then on to the match.

The initial five minutes were fairly even with both teams battling hard and the first real threat on goal came when Alfie M shot wide after Joe, Mason and Charlie combined well. Three minutes later Joe saw his shot go straight in the keeper’s arms and a minute later at the other end Alfie Sharplin was down quickly to smother a chance for Framlingham. The home side were now beginning to take control and a lob from Anthony went wide as did a shot from Charlie when fed by Alfie M. The Fram boys continued to show aggression and passion and were rewarded with the first corner of the match on thirteen minutes when great a break was cut short by good back-tracking by Anthony. The corner was floated in to the penalty area where it was met unhindered by a Framlingham player who headed it neatly in to the net for 0-1.

Despite going a goal down Felixstowe continued to look the better team and had further chances when Alfie M again set up Charlie who again shot wide. In the twenty-seventh minute a super long ball from Jarvis found Alfie M who took the ball on the half-volley and also shot wide. The pressure was now intense on the Fram goal and on twenty-eight minutes they succumbed when a Kyle cross fell to Charlie and his clinical finish made it 1-1.

The team were lifted by the deserved equaliser and further chances ensued. Tatty’s cross found Alfie M who shot wide, Tatty herself had a shot saved and then Mason saw his floated effort creep wide of the mark. Felixstowe eventually took the lead in the final minute of the half when a good run and cross from Tatty landed in the box and Mason was on hand to stab the ball over the line and it was 2-1.

The second half commenced and the home side’s first attempt to extend their lead came after four minutes when Ethan played in Tatty who watched as her shot from ten yards grazed the wrong side of the upright. A minute later and the ball broke to Ethan, but his shot was easily stopped by the Fram ‘keeper. The visitor’s attempts at goal were few and far between as Ellis was mopping up everything that came over the halfway line. As the minutes ticked by the home side seemed likely to score and in the forty-fifth minute they did. However, the referee blew for off-side, the goal was disallowed and Ross went from hero to villain.

Chances continued to come the way of Felixstowe. Harvey had a shot from twenty yards that went straight at the ‘keeper, Luke had an effort deflected for a corner and then Graham turned and planted a kiss on the cheek of Maria; what was that all about mate? it’s not Christmas yet.!!

The score line changed in the fifty-fifth minute when Luke battled hard to win the ball from two members of the opposition and fed Ethan who prodded the ball home from five yards to make it 3-1.

After the third goal went in chances were being created at an alarming rate for the visitors. Muzzy played in Ethan who won a corner, Alfie R set up Tatty whose shot was cleared off the line and then the home side had two quick corners that were both headed wide by Felixstowe players. Further efforts followed; Harvey set up a shot for Luke, Tatty did likewise for Ethan and then Alfie R pulled the ball back to Harvey who had his shot blocked, but Alfie R followed the ball and passed it in to the net for 4-1.

Asa had provided some ammunition for the front players during the second half but on sixty-eight minutes decided to go on run himself. He ran, skipped a couple of tackles, ran some more, jumped over the outstretched legs of the opposition, ran some more and then let fly but his effort hit the post.

The final few minutes of the game saw a couple of decent moves for Felixstowe end in near-misses. An Alfie R cross was volleyed wide by Tatty and a one-two between Harvey and Luke ended with the former shooting wide. However, there were no more goals and the home side finished worthy winners and continued with their unbeaten start to the league.


A couple of things of note happened during the last week. Firstly, Anton’s country; Albania, was devastated by a major earth tremor inflicting damage on most properties in and around his home town and the cost of rebuilding the city is estimated to be as much as ten pounds. Please give generously. Secondly, my father asked me if Felixstowe and Walton United had shares in the East Anglian Daily Times and when I enquired why, he told me that there’s always something in the paper about the club. My response was to say to say that the press love winners, love losers even more and that’s what sells newspapers. This fact has been verified by the board members at West Ham.

The future’s bright, it’s Red and White


Trimley Red Devils - Plate - Home

Sponsored by:          

Saturday 4th November, 2017

Squad: Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan, Jarvis, Mason, Tatiana, Henry

Management: Anton Zefi and Isaac Chennery

We were out of the Cup, but in the Plate, and hoping to go all the way to the final to make up for the disappointment of the one-nil defeat to Ipswich Wanderers. Still unbeaten in the league, the boys’ confidence was high as they prepared to play Trimley Red Devils.

Much had happened since the last match in mid-October. The boys had played a couple of friendlies and also enjoyed a three-sided affair against local rivals Woodbridge and the Colchester United Academy at their training HQ in Tiptree. On the social side, Anton’s wife Lucy; (a martyr for what she has to put up with) had her landmark 30th birthday. Now I know that she likes travelling and jewellery so I asked Anton what he got her. He was very coy about it, but then the old romantic spilled the beans and told me that he took her to Dubai and gave her a pearl necklace. What a true gentleman and what a catch.!!!

The first half got underway and within two minutes the home side had won two corners. From the second one Tatty had a shot from eighteen yards which was deflected wide. In the fourth minute Asa broke clear down the right, pulled the ball back across the face of goal and Ethan was on hand for a tap-in. 1-0

For the next few minutes it continued to be all Felixstowe, but they were having trouble with Trimley’s high line and were caught offside on a multitude of occasions. In the eighth minute the visitors had their first venture into the opposition’s half with a long through-ball, but Charlie was off his line to clear the danger. A minute after this Tatty got the ball and ran from the halfway line to twelve yards out and slotted the ball calmly past the advancing ‘keeper and it was 2-0.

Quickly after the restart the ball fell to Harvey, he beat three players, passed to Ethan and the scored moved on to 3-0.

On eleven minutes Luke put in a peach of a cross that was headed over by Harvey and after a further minute the ‘keeper saved bravely at Asa’s feet. In the fourteenth minute Tatty beat the off-side trap but saw her effort go wide of the post. The chances were now coming as regular as Anton’s comments and both Alfie R and Ethan had efforts saved. The score did change in the seventeenth minute when a Harvey cross was headed on by Luke and the ball found Ethan who made it 4-0.

A minute later and it was 5-0 after Luke’s ball found Asa who duly despatched it.

The next few minutes saw Harvey shoot wide and Charlie get his second touch and give away a free-kick. The kick was blocked and cleared to Asa who ran fifty yards before passing to Anthony who slotted the ball past the advancing ‘keeper for 6-0.

It was total domination for Felixstowe and the score moved on to 7-0 when Tatty unselfishly squared the ball into the box for Ethan to once again convert.

The next chance fell to Harvey who headed over the bar and then Harvey set up Alfie R to fire the ball home to make it 8-0.

on thirty minutes Felixstowe had a corner taken by Asa. It went it the penalty area, bounced twice and was then despatched by Luke; 9-0.

The last five minutes of the half saw further chances but no more goals. Muzzy had an effort go wide, Luke set up Alfie R who shot over the bar, Mason’s effort went wide and Ellis had an effort blocked by great goalkeeping.

So on to the second half. Trimley came out looking like a different team and within the first sixty seconds won their first corner. Unfortunately for them it came to nothing and within seconds the ball was at the other end of the pitch for Felixstowe to claim their first off-side of the half. The tally moved forward in the thirty-eighth minute when Ant passed to Ellis who converted from fully two yards and it was double figures at 10-0.

A minute after the restart and Trimley stunned the home team with a good effort. A neat ball was played through to their striker but he saw his shot go high and wide. That’s real pressure.

On forty minutes Jarvis set up Ellis who shot wide, but he had another chance seconds later when set up by Ant and this time found the net for 11-0.

Ellis had two further efforts in quick succession that sandwiched Trimley being caught off-side. The first went high from seven yards and the second found the back of the net after a neat pass from Kyle.  It was 12-0 and Ellis had inexplicably got a hat-trick.

Chances were now one a minute and the next was from Alfie M who saw his shot hit the post after a forty year run. A minute later and the same player stole the ball from a goal kick and converted for 13-0.

In the forty-eighth minute Alfie R set up Mason who hit the post and then a throw from Kyle fell to him and he tucked it away for 14-0.

Fifty-two minutes in and Mason’s shot was well saved by the ‘keeper, but his joy was short-lived when thirty seconds later Muzzy put in Ant and it was 15-0.

Two minutes later and Kyle set up Muzzy who fired into the side netting. Then Alfie R’s long ball over the top was latched on to by Alfie M who set up Ant for 16-0.

Fifty seven minutes in to the match and Muzzy shot over the bar. One minute later Alfie R headed over the bar and after a further minute Charlie had to sprint off his line to clear the Trimley sortie into his half of the pitch. His clearance fell to Muzzy who fed Tatty and it was now 17-0.

Over the next five minutes there was a flurry of goals.!!! Tatty played the ball to Muzzy who saw his shot go top-bin, Ethan ran forty yards and slotted home and Luke set up Tatty who blasted one in from eighteen yards and it was 20-0.

With seven minutes to go Alfie M put in a peach of cross into the penalty area. The ball ricocheted about before rebounding in to Asa’s face and his finish was sublime for 21-0.

Two more goals came before full-time. The first from Asa and the second from Muzzy after good work from Luke making the final score 23-0.

Full credit to Trimley Red Devils. Their nine players all played the full match and never gave up. The goalkeeper was a great example to all and but for him the score would have been more. However, the start of the show for me was their linesman “Spud”. Never has he had so much exercise.

The winner of last week’s competition was the romantically named Anita Bush of Portwenn. In the judges’ opinion, her suggestion of “give it to Craige to use as a duvet” was the best response to the question “apart from toast, what is the most practical application for a slice of bread?”. Congratulations to Anita who wins a week under a duvet with Craige. Nice.!!!!

The future’s still bright, it’s Red and White


Whitton United   - Away

Sponsored by:   

Saturday 14th October, 2017

Squad: Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan, Jarvis, Mason, Tatiana, Henry

Management: Anton Zefi, Isaac Chennery

Summer weather had returned to Suffolk and in the bright sunshine we arrived at Whitton United Football Club. After playing Tetris in the carpark and admiring Nicki M’s new motor, it was off to the pitch to see if we could repeat the home result of a convincing win and keep up the team’s 100% league record. (Sod the cup.)

As we were waiting for the game to commence I got involved in a conversation with the aforementioned Nicki M and I learnt a couple surprising things. Firstly, she’s innumerate – she told me that it was 20 years since the savage storms of 1987. I can therefore only assume that she’s actually 57 and not 47 years old. Secondly, she’s illiterate – as when I asked if her if her dogs were Shihtzus, she said “no, they’re extremely well behaved.” These as well as stories involving Woodbines and adult web sites frightened me greatly and I immediately ambled away.

Felixstowe kicked off the first half but it was the home side that produced the first chance. Charlie was slow to react when coming off his line and if the Whitton striker had a decent left foot I’m sure we’d have been a goal down. Two minutes later and the action was at the other end. Mason raced down the left flank and pulled the ball back for Asa to neatly finish and it was 0-1.

Whitton were putting up a good show and only great defensive work by Muzzy, Jarvis and Alfie M stopped them from having other opportunities on goal. Mason had a shot in the eighth minute and three minutes later Joe won a corner which was subsequently headed over the bar. On the fifteen minute mark Whitton broke through the middle, two tackles were missed, the ball was played to the left and after a nice first touch the Whitton striker produced a great finish to make the score 1-1 and no more than they deserved.

After the restart the home side continued to press and only good work from Alfie M and Ellis prevented them from taking the lead. In the twentieth minute they did manage a strike at goal, but Charlie saved the 20 yard effort easily. A minute later and Asa tried to double his tally, only to see his shot blocked for a corner. At the other end Whitton had a shot go wide and a once again Alfie S came off the better when a Whitton player decided to barge him. (When will they learn?) On twenty-nine minutes the score line changed. Tatiana passed to Ant, he passed to Asa who saw his shot saved, but Ant followed up and it was 1-2 to Felixstowe.

The final few minutes of the half saw a shot from Tatiana go straight into the keepers’ arms, Ethan set up Harvey and his shot was saved low down and then the keeper produced another piece of brave keeping when he lunged at the feet of two oncoming players and came out on top. Muzzy then set up Harvey who saw his lob from distance hit the top of the net and he had a further effort from fully thirty yards go wide. All these missed chances meant the score at half-time remained 1-2.

You could see that Anton was frustrated at not being further in front and during the team talk showed his temperamental side – 50% temper and 50% mental. Would it work? Read on.

The second half ended in much the same way as the first. Harvey saw his shot brilliantly saved by the Whitton keeper and Charlie hit the rebound wide. A minute later Ethan had an opportunity from 8 yards which was again superbly saved and then Alfie R set him up and his effort went wide. A further minute went by and Ethan turned provider, only to see nobody get on the end of his ball across the six yard line. It was all Felixstowe and in the fortieth minute Alfie R took a free-kick from 25 yards out, it floated into the penalty box dropped onto the six yard line and Charlie was on hand to hit a sweet half-volley in to the net for 1-3.

It was all Felixstowe and although the football was great, they were making chances for themselves. However, Whitton never gave up and confusion was created in the Felixstowe six yard box from a free-kick and Alfie R was the guilty party as the score moved on to 2-3 from an own goal.

The goal seemed to spur United on and Luke had to work hard to prevent them having a chance to equalize. Then an opportunity did come their way when their striker was tripped in the area and they had a penalty. The Whitton player started his run up and then struck the ball well. However, Alfie S was equal to it and produced a good save. That seemed to be the wake-up call needed for the F&W players. They went straight up the opposite end and Mason and Ethan both had shots blocked after good work in setting them up from Alfie M. In the fifty-eighth minute Felixstowe extended their lead when Henry ran through the middle, passed to Alfie R who played in Ethan to finish and make it 2-4.

Two minutes later and it was 2-5. Alfie R took another free-kick which bounced in the box and this time Ethan was hand to convert.

In the sixty-second minute we saw a contender for goal of the season. Harvey played the ball to Mason and he sent a curling shot into the top corner from fully twenty yards giving the keeper no chance and it was 2-6.

The final minutes of the game were played out with no further goals, however there were chances. Alfie R set up Harvey who’s shot was saved, Ellis had a twenty-yarder tipped over the bar, Asa had an effort go wide and he also had the last meaningful effort when Henry set him up but his smart turn ended with a shot straight in to the arms of the goalie.


So the final result was a comfortable win, but had Whitton scored the penalty the pattern of the game may have changed. Full credit to the opposition for their perseverance and in particular to their goalkeeper who produced a great performance between the sticks.

The future’s bright, it’s Red and White


Ipswich Wanderers - Cup     (home)

Sponsored by:          

Date:  Saturday 7th October, 2017

Squad: Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan, Jarvis, Mason, Tatiana

Management: Anton Zefi and Isaac Chennery

After two league matches, it was now on to the romance of the cup. The question on everyone’s lips was not “will Alia have ketchup or mayo on her chips at half time this week?” but “would the team take their free-scoring league form in to the cup competition?”

First up, the new team photograph as the whole squad was available. As is usual with our boys it took about ten minutes to get them all facing the same direction let alone anything else. However, I’ve seen the results and for an unsightly bunch it’s ok. Something to put on your mantelpiece to keep the kids away from the fire I’d say. The Managers also got involved in one of the photos, but this was delayed as Anton tried to cover up his bald patch with silly-string.

Not a bad crowd turned up to enjoy the game. Among them were Darrel who’d obviously changed his mind about decorating, Ironside and Maria who I shared a wonderful ten minutes with her earlier in the week; just a shame I was with her for an hour. 

The weather was very breezy and fortunately there was no bonfire this week so visibility was good. Certainly good enough to see Baz in his retro-ref attire and as the man says “why change it if looks good!!”

Also at the game were Martin and Marie-Ann Ross. It was nice to see them as they’ve been mourning the loss of Hugh Heffner and are now having special Friday nights as well as Tuesday nights in his honour. So successful has this been I’m told that they will be selling the Mondeo and are on the lookout for a reasonably priced mini-bus.!!!

Ipswich Wanderers kicked off the first half. From the centre spot the ball was passed back and then immediately went out to their right-winger. He ran took a touch ran forward and was challenged by a F&W defender. The ball ricocheted out towards goal and the winger took one touch and produced a quality finish that gave the keeper absolutely no chance. 0-1

Twenty seconds in to the game and one down. Not the start anyone expected and for the next five or ten minutes Wanderers dominated the play. Alfie S in the goal was kept busy, catching a cross and moving quickly off his line on a couple of occasions to prevent shots on goal. In the sixth minute Ethan had our first chance when he out-muscled a defender and saw his shot land on top of the net. A minute later the ball was played long into the Felixstowe box and Alfie S came out to gather it and was clattered into by the Wanderers striker. However, there was only ever going to one winner in that circumstance and their striker duly picked himself up off the floor, brushed himself off and walked away.

Felixstowe earned their first corner of the match through good work from Luke, but nothing came of it. A minute later Alfie R had a shot pushed wide by their keeper and the resultant corner was flashed across the six yard line by Asa but nobody could connect with it.

Both teams were working hard, Wanderers playing the ball out from the back very well and for F&W Tatty was putting in the work rate and the tackles. The game was now even after the home sides’ shaky start and some good work from Muzyy set up Harvey who saw his shot go straight in to the arms of the keeper. Two minutes later Harvey went on a run down the left and let fly with another effort that also went straight down the keepers’ throat for an easy save.

With five minutes to go Wanderers had a chance from a corner but Ellis was on hand to clear under pressure. They also had another chance from a free-kick but the move was snubbed out by Kyle after some determined sprinting back and tackling.

Halftime arrived with the boys trailing and Alia clutching boxes. What was in them? Couldn’t be the usual chips could it? No, it was four boxes of cream cakes. We’d all forgotten it was a cup match and that means cakes not chips!!! Unbelievable Jeff.

Two minutes in to the second half and a neat one-two between Tatty and Kyle ended with Tatty’s shot going wide. Three minutes later and Ant’s shot was gathered by their keeper and his long kick bounced over the half-way line, was latched on to by their striker and his lobbed shot ended up on the roof of the net. The next few minutes saw Wanderers have two further efforts on goal, one of which was superbly saved by Alfie S. They could also have had another chance but this was negated by a superb tackle by Muzzy.

Over the next few minutes Felixstowe began to take control and had a shot from Ethan pushed wide, a shot from Tatty saved and a shot from Joe was deflected for a corner. In the fifty-seventh Alfie M played the ball wide to Kyle who put in a peach of a ball but neither Tatty or Ethan could get on the end of it. This was followed by Ant having a good effort saved and at the other end Jarvis was snuffing out danger at the earliest opportunity with solid defending. On sixty minutes Tatty won the ball, skipped a tackle and hit a shot that curled agonisingly round the wrong side of the post.

The visitors’ forays into the Felixstowe penalty area were few. In the sixtieth minute another of their strikers went for a fifty-fifty with Alfie S, but the outcome was the same as with his team mate and he was bounced off in the same casual manner. With ten minutes of the game remaining Felixstowe were still piling on the pressure with another shot from Tatty going wide. A cross from Ant was bravely gathered by the Wanderers keeper at the feet of two incoming players and a long ball from Alfie S was latched onto by Ethan but was blasted over the crossbar. With two minutes left on the clock the home side got free-kick twenty yards out. After being punted out of the area by the opposition it fell to Harvey whose shot from the edge of the box hit the post. That was to be the last real action of the tie.

So Felixstowe and Walton are out of the cup having lost 1-0 to Ipswich Wanderers who scored in the first minute of the game. Wanderers defended well and restricted the home side to mainly shots from distance.  F&W had their chances, but the visitors’ keeper was in good form and some of the shooting from the home side was too erratic. We wish Ipswich Wanderers all the best for the next round; well played.


The answer to last weeks “Cockney Rhyming Slang” competition was – J Arthur Rank. Quite simple really and many of you got it right. However, the first name out of the hat was Mr. A. Butcher from Camden who wins an over-priced car cleaning kit or as its better known these days the West Ham home shirt. Congratulations.

Heads up boys - The future’s still bright, it’s

Red and White






Claydon  - Home

Sponsored by:   

Saturday 23rd September, 2017

Team: Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan, Jarvis, Mason,

Management: Anton Zefi and Isaac Chennery

The performance of two weeks ago set out the crowd’s expectations for the season; good football, teamwork, passion and victory. Could the side continue their winning start to the season in their second home match? Read on.

We were hoping for sunshine, but all we got was rain, not a downpour, but just enough to annoy Debbie which made it seem ok.  The crowd of around forty contained a good number of away fans as well as plenty of home support. The home fans included the Sharplins who for once weren’t in Tenerife and it was wonderful to see Shaz was also there after her recent spell in hospital. Unfortunately she got her dates mixed up as the “Come as a scientist day” was last weekend. However, if she’d have got it right she would undoubtedly have won first prize for her Stephen Hawkin impersonation. We wish her a speedy recovery even if she is bit ditzy. It was only last week that she told me she went to watch a musical in London recently and then spent the next five minutes complaining to me about how there was too much singing in it.!!!

Fifteen minutes before kick-off and it was like being at Chernobyl as a fire in a local garden started spewing thick black smoke across the pitch. Luckily Graham Herron was on hand to play Henry Kissinger and within a couple of minutes the fire was extinguished. After this act of mediation he was straight over to run the line in his shiny, new Nike Tiempos; very fetching.

Felixstowe kicked off the first half and immediately started on the front foot. In the first four minutes both Ethan and Alfie R were one on one with keeper, but on both occasions the keeper saved well. The two efforts were quickly followed by a shot from Anthony from distance that went past the post. It took six minutes for Claydon to get a meaningful attack going and when they did it was quickly nipped in the bud by Ellis.

The home side continued to dictate the play and further chances were created. Anthony set up Alfie R who saw his shot saved, Anthony himself shot wide again and a corner was headed just over by Luke. In the fourteenth minute Alfie M saw his shot hit the side netting, but the deadlock was broken minute later when Jarvis slid the ball through to Alfie R who produced a neat finish for 1-0.

Although Felixstowe were dominating the game, Claydon were slowly getting back in to it and Alfie Sharplin produced a wonderful punch away when the ball looked to be dropping into the penalty area. Jarvis and Ellis were working well in defence and looking solid. At the other end the boys nearly doubled their lead when Harvey and Luke combined well to set up Alfie R. He took the ball in his stride, rounded the keeper and sent the ball goal-wards, but he was denied his second by a great goal line clearance by a Claydon defender.

After another effort from Alfie R was tipped round the post the lead was eventually doubled. Kyle intercepted a pass from the Claydon goalie, ran towards goal and produced a confident finish for 2-0.

The boys were now oozing confidence and created more chances. A cross from Alfie R was almost converted by Kyle, Anthony set up Alfie R but his shot was awful, Asa saw his peach of a volley go wide and Mason had an effort saved by the opposition keeper. However, try as they might they just couldn’t increase their lead and went in at half-time just the two ahead.

The second half started in much the same manner as the first had finished, with the home side having the majority of the possession and after only a couple of minutes they increased their lead when Ethan received the ball, took two strides and shot past the keeper, 3-0.

The game took a turn for the worse in the thirty-seventh minute as some neat footwork from a Claydon forward earned them a penalty when he was brought down in the box. The penalty was neatly converted giving Alfie S no chance and it was 3-1.

A minute after the restart and normal service resumed. Jarvis set up Asa and one on one with the keeper he came off best and the score line moved on to 4-1.

Two minutes later and Ethan was back in the thick of it. He chased a long ball from Joe and clashed with the keeper; ouch, but thankfully both were ok. A minute later he produced a peach of a cross for Asa who saw his effort go wide of the target.

The defence were now having a bit more to do, but Joe and Ellis remained solid and with good work from Alfie S they were keeping Claydon at bay. Midway through the second half and Felixstowe were getting caught offside too much in their eagerness to extend their lead. From one of the resulting free-kicks, Claydon created an opportunity for their striker and only a smart save from Alfie S down to his left kept the score the same.

On fifty-one minutes Ethan struck again. He was put in by Harvey and one on one again he came out on top and the score moved on to 5-1. A minute later and it was 6-1. A similar move to that previous, only this time his hat-trick finish was through the keepers’ legs.

Charlie was playing up front for a period in the second half and was relishing the opportunity to show his class. In the fifty-third minute he showed great skill with a neat turn and set up Harvey who saw his shot go wide. Muzzy was bossing the midfield and putting in his usual powerful display and supplied the cross that Ethan converted to make it 7-1.

With four minutes to go Harvey played a nice ball through for Ellis to run on to, but his attempt at goal was more like a back pass. Sorry Ellis, it’s the truth.!! Felixstowe rounded off the game with three more goal attempts. Alfie R set up Harvey who hit the post and Anthony had a shot saved and another go wide.

Overall a good result and a reasonable performance, with Ethan proving that actions speak louder than coaches; occasionally.!!! Let’s keep it going boys.

The future’s bright, it’s Red and White


Whitton United - Home

Sponsored by:          

Suffolk Youth Football League

Saturday 9th September, 2017

Team: Alfie S, Charlie, Harvey, Ellis, Alfie M, Joe, Kyle, Tatiana, Luke, Alfie R, Mustapha, Anthony, Asa, Ethan

Management: Anton Zefi and Isaac Chennery

During the close season the team won around fifty percent of the tournaments they entered and also signed some additional players. They had a break from football during August and were raring to get going in their first season of competitive league football. The management were just as keen to get started after a few weeks of well-earned relaxation. Isaac was back from a few days away in Yorkshire where he came a commendable ninth out of ten in the National Dry Stone Walling Championship and Anton had three weeks in his native Albania where he indulged in their national delicacy of mixed-roadkill. An acquired taste, but more than acceptable when accompanied by a glass of “raki”; their national drink that makes Absinthe seem like Tizer.

So on to the game. Felixstowe kicked off the first half and immediately started to dictate the pace of the play. They retained possession well and after only six minutes broke the deadlock when Kyle crossed into the box, the visiting ‘keeper mis-kicked it and Harvey followed up to make it 1-0.

Two minutes later and the lead was doubled. A slide-rule pass from new boy Ethan Harris was played in to the path of Alfie R, who sprinted on to it, took two touches and then fired it past the ‘keeper for 2-0.

The home side were now well on top and playing some neat football. Although Tatiana was lucky to remain on the pitch when a scissor tackle almost cut one of the opposition in half.!! Over the next eight minutes Whitton earned a free-kick which came to nothing, Alfie S between the home sticks was out sharply to snuff out an opposition chance and Tatty had an effort go wide. In the sixteenth minute the lead was further increased when Tatty passed the ball to Kyle, his shot was parried and Tatty was on the spot to prod home the rebound from the unlucky ‘keeper and it was 3-0.

Felixstowe continued to dominate and Asa produced a smart turn to create a chance for himself that didn’t really trouble the ‘keeper. Then in the eighteenth minute Kyle played a neat ball to Alfie R who saw his shot saved, but Asa was on hand to open his account and the score moved on to 4-0.

The home side continued to dominate proceedings and over the next couple of minutes Asa had a shot saved and a long shot from Harvey went over the bar. Then, on twenty-five minutes, Alfie R teed up Harvey and his shot crashed in off the crossbar for 5-0.

A minute later and the lead was further extended when Kyle won the ball with some tough-tackling and set up Asa. His shot was saved, but the rebound fell to Alfie R to tuck away for 6-0.

The last chance of the half fell to Alfie R. He was fed with a beautiful ball from Luke, he cut inside, let fly but his shot rattled the bar.

So at half-time things were looking good. The weather was great and Baz even had time for a bacon roll and a swig of tea. The defence were playing well, restricting the opposition to scraps and all of them were playing with confidence.

The second period started much the same as the first with the home side once again dominating. Tatty had an effort go wide when set up by Ethan and Ellis went on a mazy run that finished with him having a shot go wide. On a rare foray in to the penalty area Whitton got their reward for persistence when one their players was pushed and they were awarded a penalty which was neatly despatched for 6-1.

Felixstowe were not put off by conceding and Tatty had another effort fly over the bar before once again getting the ball in to the net after a good run and cross from Alfie M. 7-1

Two minutes later and Tatty was involved in the next goal. She played a through ball for Ethan to run on to and he took one touch and fired the ball past the onrushing ‘keeper for 8-1.

The home side still continued to make chances and Ethan had three attempts in quick succession that were either saved or went wide of the mark. Alfie R had an effort tipped over the bar and another effort from Ethan was saved after being beautifully set up by the marauding Muzzy.

The defence was still looking good. The talking between Luke, Joe, Ellis and Muzzy could be heard and their tackles and covering were immense. In the forty-ninth minute Whitton broke down the left-hand side, but the attack was snuffed out by another fine tackle from Joe. A minute after this Whitton won a tackle in the centre circle, the player took seven steps towards the goal, let fly and gave the ‘keeper no chance and the score moved to 8-2.

The next ten minutes saw Felixstowe in command and they created further chances. Asa had another shot well saved, Tatty too and the two Alfies on pitch combined well to set up a shot for Ethan.

The last goal of the game came after some quick-thing (for a change) from Harvey. He won a free-kick and immediately got to his feet and passed the ball forward for Alfie R to run on to and make the final score 9-2.

A great start to the season and great performance from all. The two ‘keepers didn’t see much of the ball, but did their job when called upon. Charlie even played up front for a few minutes, which just confirmed to me that his best position is in goal.

The bubble has burst, so now that all the blue and white shirts have been neatly folded up and consigned to the bottom drawer until the start of next season, why not come and support the first team on regular basis at the Goldstar Ground.


The future’s bright, it’s Red and White (not blue and white)