Under 13 Girls Match Stories 2017/18

Ipswich Valley Rangers U13 Girls 1 - 1 Felixstowe & Walton U13 Girls

8th April 2018

After losing 1-0 to Ipswich Valley in the cup in our last game, they were to be our opponents again this week in an away league fixture between two of the league’s top teams. Valley having two games in hand on Felixstowe, were 3 points behind the league leaders, meaning a win for the home team would see them level on points with the Seasiders.
It was Ipswich who started the brighter of the two, with 5 minutes played, a corner was perfectly whipped into the box but no one could connect with the ball as it sailed past the post. Early warning signs from the home side. However, another 5 minutes played and it was a case of role reversal as Ellens pinpoint corner beat everyone and went out of play for a goal kick.
Ipswich Valley were close to breaking the deadlock on 14 minutes as a first time shot from a throw in was superbly saved by Sophies outstretched foot. Mia was quick to react to the loose ball and managed to clear milliseconds before the oncoming IVR forward got to it. Lucky escape for the Reds. On 16 minutes, Dionne brilliantly controlled a high ball and passed to Izzy who weaved in and out of two IVR players before being out strengthened by the third before she could shoot. The ball went out for a corner but unfortunately come to nothing.

The rain started to pour down making conditions difficult but both sides continued to even each other out as both sets of defences stayed solid which meant the attackers were having to resort to long range efforts to no effect. The half time score was 0-0 which was a fair reflection on the first half action.
Felixstowe started the second half strongly, Ellens through ball was miss-hit by the opposition and it fell to Izzy whose shot was well saved by the keeper. Ipswich responded on 47 minutes with an in swinging shot from the left hand side of the pitch but the shot went inches wide.
A Felixstowe goal kick fell straight to the feet of an IVR striker who rushed in on goal and took a shot, however, Mia managed to get herself between the ball and the goal and the shot deflected just over the bar thanks to her block. The resulting corner was headed into the side netting by an IVR player and it remained 0-0.
58 minutes played and the deadlock was broken. Holly made a run and was dispossessed by an IVR defender. However, she was determined to win the ball back and her fierce tackling paid off. She chipped the ball over the backline and Brooke rushed onto the ball, taking the ball into the area and calmly slotting the ball past the keeper’s left-hand side. 1-0 to the Seasiders and 12 minutes left to play.
The lead only lasted three minutes. The ball was comfortably cleared by Felixstowe and it landed at the feet of the IVR defender on the half way line. She took two touches and blasted a shot at goal which looked to be going straight at the keeper, however took a deflection off of a Felixstowe player who was powerless to get out of the way and the ball ricocheted into the top of the net. Felixstowe were unlucky but it was now 1-1.
The Seasiders responded well but were dispossessed in the opposition’s area. The IVR player who won the ball ran the length of the pitch, beating four Felixstowe players on her way but the ball got ahead of her and she scuffed her shot wide.
Ipswich continued to attack as they looked for the lead. With 3 minutes to play the ball was in the Felixstowe area when Izzy was deemed to have pushed over an IVR player and the ref gave a penalty to the home side.
With the perfect opportunity to win the game in the last few minutes, the IVR player stepped up and put the ball down the centre of the goal. Sophie guessed correctly saving the ball and then pouncing on the rebound to ensure it remained level. A great save by Sophie in a situation where the odds are usually against the keeper.
As the final whistle blew the girls, although gutted that they were unable to win the game after taking the lead, should be proud how far they have come as only 7 months ago in September lost 7-1 to Ipswich Valley in the cup, showing the hard work and great teamwork which has propelled the girls up the league. Ipswich Valley haven’t lost a game all season in the league and have only drawn twice, both at the hands of Felixstowe. With just four games remaining in the league, Felixstowe sit atop the pile, 1 point ahead of Capel and 3 ahead of Ipswich Valley, who have two games in hand.
Next up for the Seasiders is an away game to Long Melford and hopefully the Reds can recreate the same performance from the reverse fixture where they comfortably won 17-0.

Word from the Manager:

As everyone might have seen we did not have a warm up due to me and the girls talking about the game and the roles of everyone on the pitch. I asked the girls if they thought Ipswich Valley were better than them and some of them were unsure to answer so I went through all their strengths and showed them that they were on the same level. I also went through all their individual strengths and together as a team we could win the game. Although we had to soak up a lot of pressure I believe IVR did not have everything their own way and it showed with us taking the lead. We stood strong and frustrated them with some good defending and attacking play. We were unlucky not to hold out for the win and with no subs as well. Well done girls you gave it your all!



Sunday 11th February 2018

Felixstowe entertained the leagues second from bottom team, Thurston, whilst trying to keep up the pressure on the leagues top two teams Capel Plough and Ipswich Valley, After the sad news that Devon would be leaving the team last week, Felixstowe still managed to field a full squad with one sub.

In complete contrast to the start of the season, Felixstowe have started quickly in the last few games and today was no different. The visiting keeper was tested early on when Holly made a run from her own half and beat three players, eventually putting the ball into the middle to Ellen, who hit a clean shot, but the keeper made a good save to deny the Seasiders.

The Thurston keeper was called into action again moments later, when a long throw from Mia found Brooke who turned and ran at goal. Taking on a couple of players, she hit a thunderous shot at goal but again the keeper saved.

It took just 6 minutes for the games first goal. Mia’s big clearance found Holly whose solo run ended in her rounding the keeper and putting the ball in the back of the net. 1-0 to Felixstowe.

15 minutes in and the lead was nearly doubled when a long ball found Ellen who outmuscled the opposition defender but her left footed effort sailed just wide. 3 minutes later and Mias clearance found Holly for the second time in the match. Hollys through ball nutmegged the defender and found Ellen who had made a fantastic run and the result was a calmly placed finish to put the Seasiders 2-0 up.

24 minutes played and Felixstowe were comfortable. Holly, showing great determination to win the ball back after being tackled, outstrengthed a player twice her size and passed to Izzy who then laid the ball off to Ellen who hit a shot just wide. Great team work by Felixstowe.

In the Seasiders last match against Stowupland, Izzy hit the post twice and her luck wasn’t much better today. She picked up a loose ball and made her way into the box, managing to get a shot away from a difficult angle. Her right footed shot beat the keeper but hit the post and went out of play. Felixstowe were still searching for a third.

It came 3 minutes before half time. Mia’s free kick into the box found Laila and she rocketed the ball past the keeper making the score 3-0. Felixstowe went into half time with a well deserved lead and the Felixstowe defence had ensured that Thurston didn’t get a sniff at goal.

The score was 4-0 after 2 minutes of the second half. Ellens corner only got as far as Holly at the near post. She laid the ball back to Ellen who had a second attempt at crossing the ball in and this time it was more successful as a goal mouth scramble resulted in Laila scoring her second of the match.

On 41 minutes, Izzy made a brilliant run, dancing past two players before getting a shot away. Her shot hit the left hand post and bounced towards the far post looking like it may go in. The ball however, trickled out of play and was once again agonisingly close from Izzy who more than deserved a goal after hitting the post four times in two games.

However, the team pressed on. 8 minutes into the second half and Laila showed brilliant control to get the ball under and passed to Izzy who then squared the ball to Ellen. Her shot left the keeper with no chance. 5-0 and there was still 27 minutes left to play.

It was 6-0 two minutes later when an over hit corner from Brooke was picked up by Holly. She skipped past a Thurston defender and laid the ball to Laila whose right footed shot was too powerful for the keeper meaning she had followed up last weeks man of the match performance with a hat trick today.

56 minutes played and a Thurston goal kick fell straight to Ellen. Her right footed effort curled into the top right hand corner making it 7-0 and making her the second Felixstowe player to score three in the match and bringing her tally for the season to 14 goals in 9 matches.

Having been subbed back on after going off earlier injured, Holly went on a great run from her own half, outpacing the Thurston defence. Unfortunately, she ran out of steam and her shot was saved comfortably by the keeper.

The game ended 7-0 to Felixstowe and was once again a very strong performance from the Seasiders who seem to be growing in confidence game by game. Sophie picked up her second clean sheet of the season, helped by Mia who was a rock at the back, earning her man of the match. The girls are now second in the table, with a 3 point gap between them and first place team Capel Plough. Third place Ipswich Valley have only played 7 games so are likely to make up the points deficit however if the girls continue their excellent form and continue winning games they will be title contenders at the end of the season. 

Felixstowe 7-0 Thurston

Man of the match: Mia

Goals: Laila x 3, Ellen x 3, Holly


Stowupland Falcons

Sunday 4th February 2018

Felixstowe started February with a visit from fourth placed Stowupland, who were level on points with Felixstowe who sat in third. If Felixstowe won they would move away from Stowupland and put pressure on the top two teams in the division but a loss would see them slip to fourth.

It was Stowupland who created the games first chance but the ball sailed comfortably wide. It took just 3 minutes for Felixstowe to break the deadlock. Brooke on the edge of the box put a perfectly weighted through ball between two defenders and into the path of Ellen who slotted home. 1-0 and Felixstowe had started quickly.

Felixstowe nearly made it 2-0 shortly after but Brookes shot was comfortably saved by the opposition keeper. The next ten minutes were scrappy from both teams with neither team able to make any real chances. This changed when Izzy beat three defenders on a wonderful solo run and calmly put the ball in the back of the net. 2-0 to the Seasiders. 

The front three of Laila, Holly and Izzy were pressing well and making life difficult for the Stowupland defenders, forcing errors which created a couple of close chances for Felixstowe.

15 minutes in and Brooke ran into the box and blasted a left foot shot at goal, the keeper had no chance of saving and it was 3-0 to Felixstowe. A great start to the game from Felixstowe meant the game was all but wrapped up.

Felixstowe were hunting for more goals and on 20 minutes Ellens long range in-swinging effort went just wide.

On 27 minutes the visitors had their best chance of the half after one of their strikers placed the ball into the far corner of the goal. However, Sophie made an excellent outstretched save to keep the ball from going in the back of the net.

Just before half time Felixstowe nearly made it 4-0 after Izzys shot hit the post but unfortunately it wasn’t to be. The half time whistle blew and the score was 3-0 to Felixstowe. Whilst the attackers would be getting the headlines, the back three of Mia, Yasmin and Emily were solid and making some very important tackles.

Straight from the off in the second half Felixstowe were on a mission to add to their 3 first half goals. Brooke took on two defenders but the third defender was too much forcing her into shooting from distance which didn’t trouble the keeper.

4 minutes into the second half and there was some fantastic teamwork on display. Ellen, Izzy, Brooke and Laila linked up well in a move that ended with the keeper being forced into making a fantastic save. Minutes later Brooke and Ellen were 2 on 1 with the keeper. The keeper managed a save, flapping the ball away but it fell to Laila whose first time shot hit the post and it was the second time in the match Felixstowe had been denied by the woodwork.

12 minutes into the second half, Stowupland had their best chance of the match. A deflection beat the Felixstowe defence but Sophie was off her line quickly to close down the shot. The rebound luckily was just too far away from the Stowupland striker for them to get a touch otherwise they would have had an easy chance to score.

Half way through the second half and Izzy beat three players with ease. Izzys shot beat the keeper but she was denied by the woodwork for the second time in the match. Very unlucky!

Stowupland managed to get a goal back in the 56th minute. Sophie came out well to make a good save but the ball deflected back to a Stowupland player As Sophie had came out this meant the player had an open goal. 3-1 and Stowupland now had a glimmer of hope they could get something from the game.

However hopes of a comeback lasted all of five minutes, as a Stowupland corner fell to Holly who was on the edge of her own box. She raced the length of the pitch on her own, outpacing the opposition. She was 1 on 1 with the keeper but was tripped by an oncoming defender and rightly awarded a penalty. Jay shouted to Holly to take the penalty despite Ellen being designated penalty taker. Holly stepped up and slotted the ball past the keeper for a fully deserved goal. 4-1 and it was game over.

Final Score: 4-1

Man of the match: Laila



Ipswich Valley Rangers - Home

Sunday 14th January 2018

The first match after the Christmas break saw the girls face off against league leaders Ipswich Valley. Despite playing well in previous matches against them, results haven’t gone our way and after playing some very good football before the Christmas period, the girls were up for the tough challenge that lay ahead.

Illness kept both Dionne and Emily out of the match day squad which meant that Felixstowe went into the game without any subs.

The first 10 minutes were evenly contested as both teams had spells of possession without testing the opposition’s keeper. Moments later however Izzy put in a good challenge on a Ipswich midfielder and made a solo run into their box. Unfortunately a last ditch challenge by a oncoming defender meant she couldn’t get a shot away.

15 minutes in and a Ipswich goal kick fell straight to Holly whose first time shot sailed wide but it was positive play by the Seasiders.

Approaching the midway point of the first half and some solid defending from Felixstowe meant Ipswich were restricted to long range efforts which Sophie saved with ease. However, five minutes before the break it was the away side who broke the deadlock. An Ipswich forward picked the ball up outside the box and out muscled the home sides defence and rocketed the ball into the back of the net to make it 1-0 to the visitors.  

The goal meant Ipswich went into the break in the lead but it was a very good half from both teams with both setting up well to limit the chances of the opposition.

Two minutes into the second half and sheer determination to win the ball from Izzy meant she stole the ball from an Ipswich defender and made a run into the box. Her pace meant all the defender could do to attempt to win the ball back was to stick out a leg, which resulted in her bringing down Izzy. The ref blew the whistle and there was no debating it, penalty to the Seasiders. Ellen was on penalty duty and calmly slotted the ball home to make it level. 1-1.

Felixstowe were pushing for the lead and good link up play between Ellen and Izzy resulted in the keeper having to make a good save to deny Ellen.

Ipswich also had chances of their own, with a good spell of play ending with the ball hitting the side netting. Soon after a long range effort forced Sophie into making a good save.

As both teams continued to search for the lead, Ipswich were the ones who came the closest. A through ball beat the Red and Whites defence but Sophie came out and saved what was a certain goal. The rebound fell to an Ipswich player but again Sophie saved. Superb keeping which kept Felixstowe in the game.

17 minutes into the second half and a looping shot was saved by Sophie. Appeals from Ipswich claiming it went over the line meant the referee seeked the advice of the linesman who ruled that it had crossed the line. The referee gave the goal and the visitors were once again in the lead. 1-2.

The girls didn’t drop their heads and responded well when Holly and Izzy linked up on a counter attack. Although they had beat the defenders, the keeper came out and made a vital save denying a Felixstowe goal.

Moments later, another attack from Felixstowe resulted in a corner. Ellen put a lovely ball into the box which fell onto the head of an Ipswich defender who got it all wrong and ended up heading the ball into her own net. It would have been an exceptional goal if it was in the right net but the goal was thoroughly deserved as Felixstowe had responded well to going 2-1 down. The match was now level at 2-2 and with 15 minutes left there was still time for both teams to win the game.

Both teams had their chances, Ipswich again hitting the side netting and Holly and Izzy once again linking up well only to be denied by an impressive save.

Felixstowe held firm under attack, with Devon making a vital challenge to deny a clear goal scoring opportunity. The corner that followed was cleared well by Holly and Izzy picked up the loose ball. She made her way into the oppositions area but some good defending meant she was pushed off balance meaning she could only scuff her shot.

The match ended 2-2 which was a fair result for both teams. The girls all worked exceptionally hard as a team with both the forwards and midfield getting back to help defend against a very tough side. Felixstowe held their own against the league leaders and if they continue to play the way they are they will be challenging for the title at the end of the season. The seasiders sit 3rd in the league, 3 points off first place. Next weeks game is against bottom side Long Melford and 3 points would see us go 6 points clear of Stowupland who sit in 4th.

Man of the match: The whole team



Whitton United - Away

Sunday 3rd December

Felixstowe and Walton started December away to Whitton after picking up an impressive comeback win against Walsham last weekend.

Before the game manager Jay spoke about the importance of starting strongly as the girls have had a tendency to only get started once going 1-0 down in recent weeks. An early opportunity by the home team threatened to continue this tradition but some good defending from Dionne made sure this didn’t happen.

After 7 minutes Felixstowe put the pressure on the Whitton defence with Holly and Izzy linking up well but the resulting shot from Brooke was comfortably saved by the keeper. Moments later Izzy ran through on goal and smashed the ball past the keeper to make it 1-0 to Felixstowe.

Straight from kick off the girls were pressuring the opposition again, with Holly running down the wing and putting a perfectly timed cross into Ellen who put the ball home with ease. 2-0.

The pressure continued as Holly put a shot just wide of the post. The resulting goal kick was pounced on by Ellen whose initial shot was saved by the keeper but she slotted away the rebound making it 3-0 to Felixstowe.

Whitton however didn’t let their heads drop and in the 15th minute were on a dangerous attack which Mia defended well and her clearance managed to find Izzy who picked up the ball, skipped past two players and put the ball in the back of the net. 4-0.

The chances continued for Felixstowe with a free kick from Ellen being saved well by the keeper and in the 18th minute Holly forced the keeper into making another great save as Felixstowe continued to make life difficult for the hosts.

23 minutes in and Felixstowe were defending well. Devon stole the ball off a Whitton forward, found Brooke in the centre of the park, turned her player and put a great through ball into Holly on the wing. Holly found Ellen in the penalty box for the second time in the match and she coolly put the ball in the back of the net for Felixstowe’s 5th and her hat trick. 

Minutes before half time Mias long throw found Hollie who sprinted past 3 opposition players and scored a thoroughly deserved goal. The first half closed and Felixstowe went into the break 6-0 up, a reward for a very dominant and disciplined first 35 minutes.

Felixstowe started the second half as strongly as they finished the first with Laila coming close to getting on the scoresheet. Five minutes later, Ellen swung in a great corner which found Brooke who volleyed home to make it 7-0 to the visitors.

Holly got her second of the game after taking on 4 players on one of her trademarks runs and calmly placing the ball past the keeper to make it 8.

Whitton showed great character despite the score line and managed to get one back after a deflection in the Felixstowe area allowed a Whitton forward to put the ball away to make it 8-1. 

Twenty minutes into the second half Felixstowe were awarded a penalty after Izzy was taken out after a great run into the box. Ellen was on penalty duty and hit a thunderous shot past the keeper to get her fourth of the game. 9-1.

Felixstowe’s tenth came after Holly found Laila with a great through ball and Laila’s shot found its way past the Whitton keeper.

Whitton didn’t give up and had a late chance that hit the post, although Sophie had it covered. They did however manage to score the last goal of the game to make the final score 10-2 to the Reds.

A great team performance from all and a thoroughly enjoyable game to watch. The girls worked hard from start to finish and all played their part in securing the win which puts pressure on the two teams above them in the league.

Final Score: Whitton United 2-10 Felixstowe & Walton

Goal Scorers: Ellen (4), Izzy (2), Holly (2), Brooke (1), Laila (1)

MOTM: Izzy