Seasiders 3 Needham 0

Thurlow Nunn League Cup

2nd Round

Tuesday 7th November 2017

Pictures : Stan Baston
















There’s a football saying ‘Men against boys!’ That was a pretty spot on description of this game, both literally and physically, with the youngsters representing Needham Market Academy looking neat and tidy on the ball but lacking the physical strength and experience to really compete against the Seasiders.

The home side looked much changed, with five players having a watching brief through injury, or resting, with Callum Bennett, Sheridan Driver, Jordy Matthews, Josh Kerridge & Miles Powell side-lined, while Dan Davis and Scott Chaplin were on the substitutes bench.

To their credit, the young Marketmen worked hard, chasing and harrying the Seasiders when they had the ball and playing some neat inter-passing moves when they had possession, and defensively were pretty committed. Their main problem was that when they got to the final third of the pitch they came up against what effectively was a brick wall, with the Seasiders’ experience showing, with Rhys Barber showing his years of experience at this level and higher.

It was Barber who opened the scoring in the 15th minute, when left unmarked eight yards out, to drill the ball beyond Finlay Shorten from a Stuart Ainsley corner after the ‘keeper had saved from Kye Ruel to concede the flag kick.

Both Joe Francis and Stuart Boardley had seen efforts blocked and Shorten had produced an excellent save to deny Ainsley’s 25yard volley before the opening goal, and the half continued in the same vein with Needham producing the occasional raid, the best of them ending with a low shot from Noah Collard that lacked the power to trouble Danny Crump.

Craig Jennings was just wide of the target in the 39th minute as the rain began to get serious, proving that the rain gods do listen, just not at the right time!

The young visitors had a good spell of possession at the start of the second period without putting the home side under too much pressure, but lacking the guile to get behind the home defence who were happy to let them play until they got to the last third.  

Craig Jennings doubled the Seasiders’ scoreline in the 67th minute, converting Taylor Hastings’ cross from the right and Scott Chaplin, who had replaced Nick Ingram just after the hour, rattled the Needham bar with a looping 20 yard effort soon after coming on.

Both sides used their subs, which broke up the flow of the game and it was Andy Crowe, an 84th minute sub for Stuart Boardley, who added the third with a close range effort two minutes from time.




In the end, a comfortable passage through to the 3rd round and a trip to Walsham Le Willows, the first week in December. Next up we travel across the county to Haverhill Borough, and our first outing of the season on an artificial surface, hopefully we will see a healthy amount of you on parade at the New Croft.