Saffron Walden 4 Seasiders 0

Thurlow Nunn League

Premier Division

Saturday 30th September 2017














I don’t think there was anyone at The Goldstar who thought for a minute that we would go through the whole season unbeaten, elsewhere there were many who doubted we would reach double figures in wins, as it turned out the winning run got up to a dozen, before finally shuddering to a halt at Catons Lane.

While this report is written about The Seasiders, with a natural bias, I must be clear, we take nothing away from our hosts on Saturday, on the day they deserved their victory, indeed they were worthy winners, much the better side over the 90 minutes. We must consider it a bad day at the office, now regroup and hopefully come out stronger for it on Tuesday evening at home to Stanway Rovers and try to set off on another extended run.

Of the game itself I was left wondering as I tallied up at the end, 12 cautions, 1 red card, three penalties and an own goal, and thinking, it wasn’t even a dirty game, no really rash tackles from either side, yet somehow we managed six cautions apiece, three penalties, one of which was probably justified, but the other two….! And the red card at the end for Walden’s Tom Lakin, picking up his second yellow for a foul on Rhys Barber.

Tom Lakin opened the scoring in the 4th minute as he got between Danny Crump & Stuart Ainsley to get a touch on Murphy’s cross, and Walden doubled the tally in the 9th minute with player manager Stuart Wardley drilling home a penalty after Rhys Barber had been adjudged to have deliberately handled. It looked a harsh decision against the visitors’ captain, who had his hands close to his sides and making no move towards the ball, but the afternoon only got worse as Stuart Boardley put the ball into his own net from Lakin’s cross with just 22 minutes on the clock.

Felixstowe did start to get into the game but found O’Sullivan in the home goal in inspired form, making a superb double save to deny firstly Nick Ingram and then Joe Francis before producing a magnificent penalty save, low to his right, to deny Francis again before the break as the visitors began to feel this wasn’t to be their day.

O’Sullivan was again in action at the start of the second half, smothering the ball to deny Chaplin on the goal line as Felixstowe looked to get back into the game but it was not to be, and Wardley completed the visitors’ misery with the game’s third penalty, this time a more clear cut decision in the 73rd minute, when Barber brought down Lakin.

The visitors’ No11, who had been busy all afternoon, then got himself booked for a late challenge and in the final minute was the recipient of the game’s 12th yellow card for a late challenge on Barber, with the inevitable red following.

It’s now a case of the side picking themselves up and going again, the support was against fantastic with 286 watching at Catons Lane and close to a hundred of them having made the trip from Suffolk.

On Tuesday Stanway Rovers are the visitors to The Goldstar Ground, another tricky fixture (aren’t they all) but one I’m sure the players will be ready for, see you all there!