Seasiders 3 Histon 0

Thurlow Nunn League

Premier Division

Saturday 2nd September 2017

Singing In The Rain

Version 1 - Composer Arthur Freed 1931

Sang 1952 in film of same name

      Singing In The Rain

      Version 2

      Saturday 2nd September – Goldstar Ground







There are none, nor will there be, any easy games this season - I think that has become apparent over the first eight games, including THAT FA Cup game, I predicted pre-season this would be our toughest yet, and despite the fact we have won 7/7 league games, I haven’t been inclined to change my mind.

One massive plus in the clubs favour this time round is the support we have drawn from the local population, and I wonder now what would have happened had we had the facilities we now enjoy, twenty years ago!


There was a super atmosphere in the ground prior to kick-off - friendly and warm, no hostilities or abuse being chucked around and everyone taking everything in good part, grass roots football at its very, very best I thought.

Histon have been on a journey since leaving the Eastern Counties League at the turn of the century, scaling the heights of the Non-League Pyramid and touching the Football League before slipping back through the divisions and finally returning from whence they came. While it must have been a difficult journey back, they will forever be remembered for knocking the mighty Leeds United out of the FA Cup.

Kevin and Watty named an unchanged starting line up from the one that took the three points on Tuesday night, and the home support turned up in good numbers for the match between the last two unbeaten sides in the division, Histon W4 D4 against the Seasiders P7 W7, so something had to give.

The first half was a ‘lively’ affair to say the least, and it could have easily seen both sides reduced to ten men on a different day or with another ref, and I got the feeling both players involved were well aware that the colour of the card they were clearly going to get could easily be red, but fortunately for both, it was yellow, and both sides kept a full complement on the pitch.

Dan Davis was the first in trouble when he challenged Histon’s Joe Sutton for the ball, winning it cleanly but pulled up by the referee for a two footed tackle with studs showing, although he won the ball cleanly. On another day it might well have been red but after an extended ‘discussion’ with the referee who did most of the talking, it was a yellow and Davis looked relieved, although when he started playing as a youngster, it would have been a totally acceptable challenge.

Next in the book was Histon’s Evan Key, who went down under a late challenge from Joe Francis, but with the referee blowing up for an infringement and probably a yellow card for the Seasiders No7, Key decided to take his own retribution on Francis. The referee must have missed the moment of initial contact between Key and the prone Francis, otherwise there would have been no lecture, just a straight red card for the visitors’ No4. The standard handbags at 10 paces that follows such incidents then took place and when the dust had settled, Key got the afternoon’s second yellow and Francis the third! I heard one comment from an away fan that Felixstowe were a very physical side in the way they played, and I thought, ‘It takes two to tango’, and the Seasiders weren’t dancing alone.

The game was barely 16 minutes old at that point and as it settled it was the home side who had control of the play for the most part, Histon’s Sheldon Weinman did fire a free kick high & wide of Crump’s goal, and a long throw into the area had the home side scrambling a clearance away to safety, but the majority of the play was in the other half of the pitch and possession more with the Seasiders.

A quick piece of thinking from Powell had the visitors in trouble, with Duffy, the visitors’ keeper outside his area trying to control the ball - Powell dispossessed him and drove his shot across the face of the visitors’ unguarded goal with no-one able to get a touch. It was a short lived let off for the Histon defence as another attack looked to have broken down as Duffy collected the ball, but he fumbled and lost possession and as the loose ball was only half cleared it fell to Josh Kerridge, who unleashed a thunderbolt effort from outside the area that flew past the Stute’s ‘keeper.


On the balance of play it was a deserved lead for the home side and it might have been more before the break, with a long ball out of defence from Hastings finding Powell who crossed for Scott Chaplin, but it was inches too far away, followed by another good build up that ended with a shot from Ainsley that the ‘keeper held.

Davis headed wide of the near post from Chaplin’s corner at the start of the second period and Chaplin was high, wide and handsome with his own effort two minutes later.

Histon’s most influential player, Joe Sutton, was off target with his own free kick after being fouled twenty yards out, and Danny Crump was called into real action for the first and only time in the 53rd minute to deny Sutton with an excellent save.

A second Seasider goal looked imminent as the home side pressed and it came just before the hour, when Powell delivered a pin point pass that split the Histon defence to find Francis, who made no mistake from 12 yards to make it 2-0 and in effect, game over.

Any doubts about the result were quickly dispelled with Scott Chaplin under pressure, cleverly lifting the ball over Duffy and into the unguarded net, to make it 3-0 in the 64th minute.

Both sides used their full quota of subs that broke the flow of the game, Ed Rolph headed over Crump’s cross-bar from Sutton’s cross at one end, and Nick Ingram’s cross/shot rolled across the goalmouth without a touch before being put behind for a corner. Max York tried his luck from 30+ yards, catching the ball just right, but the effort was blocked  and with the game moving into time added on there was a final yellow card for Joe Sutton for a foul on Bennett.

An excellent afternoon’s work from the side in front of 400 satisfied fans, with attention now turning to Tuesday night and the Millfield, Hadleigh as the unbeaten tag is again put up for a challenge. Never an easy place to visit, there will be no expectations of an easy night despite the hosts current lowly position, and hopefully the travelling faithful will be out in force once more.

See you there!